Sexing Wheaten Marans - Photo Heavy

nivtup

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Shelton Washington
Looking for help in determining what we have from our Wheaten hatch, 7 chicks total. We have tried to compare to the photos on Backwoods Poultry's website, however we are unsure. So, any help would be much appreciated. And if you could elaborate on how to tell from 1 picture to the next that would be great.

We owe our start in Wheatens to Buddy Henry of Backwoods Poultry Farm, I would have to give him a two thumbs up in all of our dealings with him.

Chick 1
Chick1.jpg

Chick 2
Chick2.jpg

Chick 3
Chick3.jpg

Chick 4
Chick4.jpg

Chick 5
Chick5.jpg

Chick 6
Chick6.jpg

Chick 7
Chick7.jpg

Group Shot
WheatenChicks.jpg

cool.png
cool.png
cool.png

WELL NOW MR. DON! Here is my grand entrance! I am entering to say that those babies are absolutely gorgeous! Mine are due to hatch on January 4th and I can't wait!
Having said that, I know this is the moment you have been waiting for. It appears to me that if, and that is a big IF, you do have a rooster, it is chick number 3. All the rest are pullets from the way they are coloring out in feather pattern. Number 3 may also be a pullet, but at this point a little more time is needed to confirm my suspicions! Your male birds will get the black in the wings and the females will keep the fawn color throughout. It is actually easier to tell them by not pulling their wing out and just looking at them from the side view to see if any bold black pops out to your eye thus identifying your male. They are soo cute!

Thanks Buddy.

Now what am I going to do if they are all pullets? LOL

Usually we have the opposite problem with getting to many Roos.

Thanks again.

Don,

I am always looking for a home for to many roos hatched here on the farm. Maybe we can work out a deal to ship you one or two roos for your pullets. These roos would have a different father than your pullets, thus you would have distant related breeding stock to work with.

Last edited:
Don, I just wanted to say I have no idea, but those are ADORABLE! A definite must for me, the Wheaten Marans, but way off in the future! Working on my Black Coppers and Cuckoos right now...on the usual lists for the Blue Coppers and Golden Cuckoos...
Arent Marans awesome!
Take Care,
Tina/tfpets

OK, it sounds like we will be doing round 2 photo op in the next day or so with wings closed.

Hard to believe but, hoping for at least one Roo. If we do not find one in the batch we will needing to find one
big_smile.png
. Buddy, we might have to order in that special Roo from you.

I agree this is kind of like winning the lottery, has me totally caught off guard. You would think I would be used to it though seeing how the wife keeps winning the Nigerian Lotto.

OK...if chick #3 and the top left chick in the group pic are the same...you probably have a roo.

It was explained to me that marans can be sexed pretty early on by the comb. Chic #3 and the top left chic have pretty good sized combs.

Just my opinion of course. Hope this helps.

They are very nice chicks BTW!
big_smile.png

Chix...this has NOTHING to do with the topic, but I just had to say your avatar made me laugh. I sat there and watched it for 5 minutes laughing my head off.

Back
Top Bottom