Sexing

DF438D70-A5AA-4E61-9736-FA822A4877C7.jpeg
7462E8E7-628E-4F53-BF87-1AD72B33727A.jpeg
1A8AD681-4C34-4DD6-9E25-8AF8CE3A379D.jpeg

That right there is the most important thing to keep in mind.
Yeah. How many times have we seen barred rock chicks in the Breeds & Genders forum that had a spot that should indicate male, and then the bird turned out to be a pullet? A lot! You have to get a strain that's proven for accurate head spotting or it's useless.

Yeah. How many times have we seen barred rock chicks in the Breeds & Genders forum that had a spot that should indicate male, and then the bird turned out to be a pullet? A lot! You have to get a strain that's proven for accurate head spotting or it's useless.
What about sex-links?
Thanks all. It doesn't help that I'm looking on eBay!!! Even then can't find much. I just wanted the enjoyment of hatching and the confidence of being able to sex early.

I honestly don't even look at the head spots anymore. I feel like a robot. "Post pics at 6 weeks."

Thanks all. It doesn't help that I'm looking on eBay!!! Even then can't find much. I just wanted the enjoyment of hatching and the confidence of being able to sex early.
Seeing chicks a breeder has produced, as well as the breeding stock will help. In the end though, it will always be a gamble with the "Bar" birds. Unless you've raised them from a certain breeder and know for sure they are quality stock.

I honestly don't even look at the head spots anymore. I feel like a robot. "Post pics at 6 weeks."
Bielefelders are amazing!!! I've had wonderful success with mine, and they are autosexing. They've got the crele pattern, making the roosters beautiful and the hens are just lovely. (Man I'm running out of adjectives XD). I would definitely suggest getting some if you can find them!
Thanks Overo. I don't want to risk that! I can see it happening.....
Do bielefelders have another name? They are gorgeous.... But can't find any eggs anywhere

Back
Top Bottom