Sexing

Pics

Chuckkeeper

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Hi
I am enjoying some small scale hatching (6/12 eggs at a time)
I like to hatch eggs which I can sex on day one so I can take action in the unlikely event of more than half boys... I know this means they need to be sex linked / auto sex?
I currently have cream leg bar eggs in
I'd like to try something else which I can sex on day 1 and reasonably priced in UK. Any ideas? Trying to avoid the "normal chicken" type of look!

Hi
I am enjoying some small scale hatching (6/12 eggs at a time)
I like to hatch eggs which I can sex on day one so I can take action in the unlikely event of more than half boys... I know this means they need to be sex linked / auto sex?
I currently have cream leg bar eggs in
I'd like to try something else which I can sex on day 1 and reasonably priced in UK. Any ideas? Trying to avoid the "normal chicken" type of look!
@TheOddOneOut @Overo Mare @JedJackson

It's a tough thing to achieve, sometimes. You can make your own sex links, or you can buy the autosexing breeds, and there are plenty of them. Cream Legbar is one, actually. I believe all the breeds ending in 'bar' are autosexing, like Rhodebar, Cambar, etc. Barred birds like barred rocks can be sexed at birth according the the quality of the spots on the backs of their heads. But you need to make sure you buy stock that is proven for this quality.

It's a tough thing to achieve, sometimes. You can make your own sex links, or you can buy the autosexing breeds, and there are plenty of them. Cream Legbar is one, actually. I believe all the breeds ending in 'bar' are autosexing, like Rhodebar, Cambar, etc. Barred birds like barred rocks can be sexed at birth according the the quality of the spots on the backs of their heads. But you need to make sure you buy stock that is proven for this quality.
That right there is the most important thing to keep in mind.

Thank you so much. It doesn't help that when it comes to eggs I am limited to online sellers at the moment, and can only really find CLB eggs :(

Doms have rose combs. Odd, post some pics of Salt and Pepper. They're gorgeous.
Thank you. Where do people manage to buy such eggs!

Back
Top Bottom