Sexing

Pics
:eek:I need some of those.

Not quite Orps...but Wyandottes are almost as good.

Anything rose combed.
Wyandotte I overlooked for a long time.. but seeing their hardiness.. and having harvested a few cockerels.. have circled back to them after Marans, Swedish Flower, and many more.. actually Bielefelder just lost their place here this weekend.. When all for February hatched pullets have failed to produce eggs but instead molted this fall. ALL 4 of them.

Why does everyone love orps so much? I hope I can include my jubilee in this party
Orpington are way over rated birds in my experience.. slow growing and not truly "friendly" as described by many.. heavy on the feed bill... prone genetically SOMETIMES (not all lines or individuals) to health disorders like fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome.

It's the beard. A nice luscious full beard for a wonderful EE.
Oh.. to make her look more Orp, lol! :lol:

I thought when I read HEAD :drool to make more ROOM for more Orps. :oops:

I saw they have Wyandotte in the same color as speckled Sussex/ Jubilee Orps.. think they call them Milli fleur.. but it obviously has the deeper mahogany.. I found while researching my Isabella laced project. So many things not available to us! Sorry.. this is WAY off topic to the OP question. :oops:
From Google..
View attachment 2380742
It's being worked on anyways..View attachment 2380743
Dear @Chuckkeeper welcome to the fascinating never ending world of chicken genetic adventures! I hope you catch the bug for it.:wee
Those Wyandotte's are beautiful! I love speckled breeds!

Orpington are way over rated birds in my experience.. slow growing and not truly "friendly" as described by many.. heavy on the feed bill... prone genetically SOMETIMES (not all lines or individuals) to health disorders like fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome
I would agree to a certain extent - but I stay loyal to my Orps. I've not had a bad Orp cockerel.

I would also say that the English Orps are completely different...I believe mine to be a fairly good line. I would think it worth it to get some proper, puffy English Orps. I wouldn't get any more average Orps, while there are other breeds screaming to me from every side.

I've also had my share of Orpingtons...and I'm getting a tiny bit bored of Buff. I love my birds. But I like to have some other random breeds mixed in.

Rose comb is definitely my favourite, and sadly not something you would find on a pure Orp.

Back
Top Bottom