SF bay area-- Wanted: Young rooster for free range

Poop Cleaner

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2015
California
If you have a rooster that needs a good home: I am looking for one lucky young rooster to add to my flock of laying hens for a free range situation in rural Half Moon Bay.

This bird will have a long and happy life with lots of ladies if he fits the following criteria:

1) CANNOT be human aggressive.
2) Must be of a dual purpose heritage breed, preferably: Dominique, Black Australorp, or Rhode Island Red
3) Older than 20 weeks preferably.

I am happy to pick up the bird from a reasonable distance from Half Moon Bay, and perhaps pay a reasonable amount for the right bird.

Please contact me if interested. Happy holidays.

I've got a bantam Splash split to Chocolate Orpington cockerel. Visually he is Splash, but carries one recessive copy of the Choc gene. He's a bit big for a bantam, so I won't be using him for breeding. He's never been aggressive towards me.

I can take some pics tomorrow, if you're interested.

Hello, thank you for your reply. I am sorry, but am not interested in bantams for fear their size makes them vulnerable to predators in a free range situation in a rural area.

Oh. Well he might not be the right guy then, even if he is a bit too big to be a bantam.

Here's a pic anyways. Good luck!

I have a Colored Dorking cock that is 14 months old. Of my three cocks he is number 3 in the pecking order. He hates to be caught and will struggle if picked up but has not been aggressive. He will hang around for food handouts but stays 3 or 4 feet away. He has the appearance of a Red Dorking. I used him as a breeder a couple months ago to bump up the color in my flock. He was successful, with fairly good fertility and hatchability. I live in Pilot Hill, which I think is about 2 hours from Half Moon Bay. I would be willing to meet up on 50 or 80, as the last 20 minutes is grueling driving for many people. I'll drop you pictures if interested. I'm NPIP CA-339 if it matters to you.
LL
This picture is on The Dorking Breeders thread - Page 56, where you can double click on it to get a bigger better view of him.

Add: If you want to spend the time and gas, he's otherwise free.

Add: Just checked Google Maps, closer to 3 hours travel. As I said could shave off 20-30 minutes by meeting at freeway.

Last edited:
Thank you. He looks magnificent but unfortunately you are a bit too far from me. I may actually be picking up a rooster this weekso this thread may be closed soon enough. Thank you for all the offers. I appreciate it and am sad that so many roosters need homes.

I wonder if I should start an all rooster flock in a separate area of the ranch.

Thank you. He looks magnificent but unfortunately you are a bit too far from me. I may actually be picking up a rooster this weekso this thread may be closed soon enough. Thank you for all the offers. I appreciate it and am sad that so many roosters need homes.

I wonder if I should start an all rooster flock in a separate area of the ranch.
OK I broke the news to him.

Back
Top Bottom