SG Dorking roo over Red Dorking hen...what happens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by punk-a-doodle, Feb 1, 2014.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I was able to find out what you get when putting a Red Dorking roo over a Silver Grey hen, but what happens when you put a Silver Grey roo over a Red hen?

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    I don't know but here are some formula' ( don't have reference to tell if they are correct) and some links to people who will know. I think they are Aussie and new Zealand. Ask them.
    Silver-Grey Dorking cockbird ........ e+/e+ S/S ar/ar W+/W+ Id/Id Po/Po
    Dark Dorking ........ e+/e+ S/S (S/-) Autosomal Red?? Ml-Pg / Ml-Pg Mh/Mh W+/W+ Id/Id (Id/-) Po/Po
    Darker coloured hens and cocks crop up from time to time in SG dorking flocks, the females usually have varying degrees of darker hackle and black lacing on body and breast feathers, the cocks have a reddish shoulder, straw tinge and darker striping in the hackle. Maybe they would be useful in a darks project?

3. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Thank you!

4. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Found some threads after more searching. For those interested, let me pass on what I found as I understand it (may not be correct). Red dorkings are black breasted red. SG dorkings are silver duckwing.

BBR roo x SG hen- golden duckwing males and BBR hens
    SG roo x BBR hen- golden duckwing males and SG hens

Goldens should not be bred back to SG to make more SGs. Once enough good quality SG hens are bred from putting SG Roos over the best BBR hens, SG Roos should be put on SG hens. If you breed SG with goldens, the silver can be polluted with red enhancers, especially in the shoulder region, and sounds like a nightmare to deal with.

Not sure if that is right, but that is what I got out of it.

5. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    I belive the difference between the two is just one is gold(S/S) and the other silver (s/s) ( the red dorking might have some genes like Mahogany to make it that red colour). You should end up with silver gray females and males that might resemble the red dorking (expect they would be S/- so not quite)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by