Shade for the chickens

Mark54

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
I reckon that chickens would like plenty of shade. Is having direct sunlight something they would want part of the time, or would they just as well have shade? I'm obviously new to chickens. I'm building a chicken tractor and I want to give my chickens what they would prefer.

Thanks,
Mark

This time of year they definitely need shade. Keep in mind that most breeds of chickens actually cope better with cold than hot climates and that direct sun can cause heat distress in a very short time. IMO they should have access to both shade and sun year round so that they can choose where they are most comfortable at any given time.

Depending on where you are, shade and water may be your biggest concerns.

...at least they are for me. LOL!

Depending upon where you are...your biggest concern this time of year may be shade. Deep heavy shade can reduce the temperature by 10-degrees. That can be life-saving for chickens.

If they have a chance to free range, they can choose their preference.

If you have a removable tarp with gromets, you may be able to exchange full shade for partial shade--like shade cloth seasonally, and in winter have 'full sun'.

I've noticed that my chickens feathers are lightening a little bit due to the sun... and they spend the majority of their time lately in shade!

I have to agree with all that has been posted to this thread so far. Lots of water, shade and chilled watermelon.

Our little flock hates direct sunlight and will reposition themselves throughout the day to stay in the shade. Their fav spot is under the coop, where they can enjoy the fan and shade. This afternoon they were in two rows of five under the coop. When pulled up the drive I couldn't see any of them and was freaked for a moment. They were all hunkered down in the run under the coop. Usually the big roo wil stand up when he hears my truck in the driveway.

I let them out a little earlier than usual this evening and they just were not all that enthused. All back in the run by 8 pm and were on the roost by 8:30. Usually if I can get them to go in early, they are screaming and pointing to their watches. I think the heat today wore them out.

Dave

I guess with all those feathers they're going to start getting hot sooner or later in this heat

Dave,
that is a good idea with the fan
is it common for people to string one out to the coop?
any rules on how to use a fan in there?

Quote:
Our fan sits on the ground during the day up against the run, but is protected by an implement shed attached to our outbuilding to protect it from the rain. It is just cheap Walmart $10 box fan.

I have been sitting here pondering whether or not to incorporate a coop fan, maybe something like a kitchen or bath exhaust to pull air thru to supplement the ventilation.

Tonight I raised up the fan, suspended by bungee cord so that it blows into the coop. It was 90 degrees in there at 8:30 this evening.

I am sure someone has done that given the caliber of coops that I have seen on BYC.

Dave

Last edited:
ok thanks
I guess I would either have to have a low fan or one suspended from the roof
or the air wouldn't reach the chickens
tongue.png

Quote:
Our fan sits on the ground during the day up against the run, but is protected by an implement shed attached to our outbuilding to protect it from the rain. It is just cheap Walmart $10 box fan.

I have been sitting here pondering whether or not to incorporate a coop fan, maybe something like a kitchen or bath exhaust to pull air thru to supplement the ventilation.

Tonight I raised up the fan, suspended by bungee cord so that it blows into the coop. It was 90 degrees in there at 8:30 this evening.

I am sure someone has done that given the caliber of coops that I have seen on BYC.

Dave

I have one up high in the coop. I just recently replaced this one for a high velocity 9" fan from Walmart for $15. I keep it on med. and it kicks... brings in lots of fresh air. Living on an island, we really don't have much of a problem with a breeze in the run. We're only a block from the Gulf. It's still hot but at least it's a breeze.
98066_2b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom