1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shade of eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cknmom, May 7, 2007.

1. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    We have an older hen that lays large brown eggs. Sometimes the shells are light brown and other times they are darker brown. Is it from what she's eating? They free-range and we give them laying feed, and assorted veggie scraps and egg shells. Her shells are thin also. I had read on here that maybe giving them eggshells would help that, it has but they are still thin. Monica

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Egg shell color depends entirely on genetics. The color of a hen's egg can change over time and this is completely normal. The shell thickness and quality of the egg depend on diet. Offer a good commercial feed and oyster shell and the the shells should be thicker. Egg quality also deteriorates a bit with age so it could have nothing to do with diet.

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    don't mix the oyster shell with the feed, though. give it to her in a separate container so she can eat it when she feels the need to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by