Shadow has a swollen toe ... dislocated?

deanna&rich

Songster
10 Years
Jun 2, 2009
chimacum, WA
Hi! Our two-year old Blue Swedish duck has been limping and favoring her right foot for nearly a week now. At first, just slightly, then she seemed to be in more pain on the second and third days so I kept her in the pen when the others went to free-range.

On the third day, I held her and examined as closely as I could, but couldn't see or feel anything odd (breaks, swelling, hotspots, bumbles). She still had a full range of motion, just didn't want to put weight on it. It didn't appear to be out of place (dislocated). .So, I assumed it was a sprain, and kept her in the pen all day.

Today, I could see that it was visibly very swollen, so we brought her in for an examination. The top of the foot between two of the toes is very swollen, and the middle toe is swollen. She still has full range of motion. It's warm but not excessively so, we don't think there is any sign of infection. She is eating and drinking water normally, but clearly in pain.

We looked carefully at the bottoms of her feet but could not see anything like a bumble ... no black spots, no unusual bumps or scabs or anything.

Any suggestions? I'll be grateful for any comments...

Strange that the swelling would only appear a week after the limping started. Any chance of posting a photo so people can get a better idea of what you are seeing?

I had a Cayuga duck this fall that was doing that. I brought her inside and gave her warm baths to help keep it clean. then I put polysporin on a chunk of gauze and used medical tape and bandaged her foot up. I put her in a tote just large enough for her food and water. Every day I changed her bandaid and gave her a warm bath. It took about 5 days and she seemed to be fine. I don't know if she got a tiny something in there I couldn't see (black feet make looking for boo boos harder). Give it a try you have nothing to lose.

I wonder if a minor fracture or dislocation might not have gotten worse from walking on it. Maybe some duct tape and light cardboard, or vet wrap, and rest for a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom