Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Cold and sunny.
All the feed in the tray I left overnight finished. It looked like nobody had even been there this morning. Bucket of water for the geese empty and knocked over.
View attachment 3399573
View attachment 3399572
View attachment 3399571View attachment 3399570
Hearing this makes me super angry. There are days I don’t feel like getting up early to do chicken chores. Days I don’t feel like dealing with my sometimes crazy dogs. But getting animals is a commitment, just like having kids. You can’t take a day off of their care. You can take shortcuts if necessary, but not checking water is a life or death decision.

I almost think C should pay a caretaker for the livestock if s/he isn’t going to commit fully. @Shadrach What you are doing for them is worth more than anyone could ever pay you.

I don't know if it's the case for C. but my partner's father's problem is not specifically with chickens but with money in general. I think the reason for it is a rural childhood in extreme poverty being the elder son of a widow. Others here had the same life and grew out of it though.
C's problem with everything is money related if one listens to the rhetoric. I think the money bit is just a symptom. The underlying problems are a bit more complex.

Hey X Batts What I fear is C will dump the 5 with no more thought than was done to the others.
This is a possibility. I hope for the time being at least I've redirected. C doesn't really have anything to do with the chickens any more. As long as they are not an inconvienence we might struggle on a while longer.

Hearing this makes me super angry. There are days I don’t feel like getting up early to do chicken chores. Days I don’t feel like dealing with my sometimes crazy dogs. But getting animals is a commitment, just like having kids. You can’t take a day off of their care. You can take shortcuts if necessary, but not checking water is a life or death decision.

I almost think C should pay a caretaker for the livestock if s/he isn’t going to commit fully. @Shadrach What you are doing for them is worth more than anyone could ever pay you.
I get paid plenty in chicken love.:love and they're working for a livng these days.:p

Lovely afternoon. It got up to 10C and planty of sunshine.
Nothing done with the chickens this morning. I'll assume this is the norm now.

C arrived to feed the geese about 3.30 pm and let the geese out. I took the food and water out of the run and shut the gate. I mentioned to C that if they leave food for the geese I'll feed them in the evening. I'll also divide the allotment run on a temporary basis and the geese can be out when I'm there. Mixing them is a definite no. Apart from the health aspect the geese spend their time trying to get to the chicken feed. I think it may have dawned on C that leaving the geese out unsupervised isn't such a great idea. I think the last goose death drove the point in; it's just taken a while for the point to hit home.
P2090273.JPG

Ella is sitting down because she had to dig earlier.:lol:
P2090275.JPG

P2090274.JPG

Ella is quite fussy about Henry's appearance. She grooms him quite a lot.
P2090277.JPG

Everybody home. Clean beds, shelter, full crops and from what I can see, parasite free. Not a lot to ask for is it.
P2090278.JPG

P2090271.JPG

Lovely afternoon. It got up to 10C and planty of sunshine.
Nothing done with the chickens this morning. I'll assume this is the norm now.

C arrived to feed the geese about 3.30 pm and let the geese out. I took the food and water out of the run and shut the gate. I mentioned to C that if they leave food for the geese I'll feed them in the evening. I'll also divide the allotment run on a temporary basis and the geese can be out when I'm there. Mixing them is a definite no. Apart from the health aspect the geese spend their time trying to get to the chicken feed. I think it may have dawned on C that leaving the geese out unsupervised isn't such a great idea. I think the last goose death drove the point in; it's just taken a while for the point to hit home.
View attachment 3400440
Ella is sitting down because she had to dig earlier.:lol:
View attachment 3400442
View attachment 3400441
Ella is quite fussy about Henry's appearance. She grooms him quite a lot.
View attachment 3400437
Everybody home. Clean beds, shelter, full crops and from what I can see, parasite free. Not a lot to ask for is it.
View attachment 3400435
View attachment 3400439
I do like full crops at bed time.

Back
Top Bottom