Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

A problem that I don't have an answer for is C keeps putting bird seed in the feeder and they prefer this to the pellets. There is nothing like enough protein in the bird seed and despite emptying it when I get to the allotments the chickens will have eaten quite a lot by the afternoon.
Shad,
Maybe you could mix some regular feed in the birdseed bag, without telling C. Then at least some of the feed they get before you get there will be the right kind. ❤️

Quick tax:
1640650291264.jpeg

No to the money or supplies but thank you.
I haven't done the tax calculation yet but if you're on page 104 and not a chicken picture in sight I think you would be better advised on getting a lawyer rather than an accountant.:p
Whoooa hold fire on the court case…my hubby has life insurance, could I use that? 😜🤣🤣

Shad,
Maybe you could mix some regular feed in the birdseed bag, without telling C. Then at least some of the feed they get before you get there will be the right kind. ❤️

Quick tax:
View attachment 2941563
I've been taking the bird feed out and putting in pellets. This does at least mean they get a decent amount of protein when they top up before roosting and I put in enough so there are pellets in the morning. C gets there on the days that they get there at all and give them food at around 6.30. I can only get there in the afternoons currently. Overall it's an improvement on how it was and C is at least making an effort now. What needs to happen is the rest of the group need to take some responsibility for the chickens and geese as well, even if was only to buy a bag of feed a month and chip in towards some materials.

Regarding deaths.
While I do appreciate the condolances part of the point of this thread is to get people to realise that Ex Battery hens are going to die and many rather quickly.
It's something anyone who is thinking of re-homing Ex Battery hens needs to be prepared for. They also need to be prepared to and capable of killing a hen, or having fast access to someone who will if they can't. I can't stress the importance of this enough. The one massive difference one can make to these poor creatures lives is their death strange though it may seem.
Even with the best vet care vary few can be bought more than a few weeks more life once reproductive problems set in.
Many die in the batteries maybe in pain for days with other hens picking out their feathers and later eating the dying hen if the battery operators don't notice a sick hen.

Back
Top Bottom