Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Public transport was running again today so I got to the allotments. Lots of bits had been blown around but the coop was fine and it seems the chickens were too.
Lima was back to her normal self.
They were all very hungry. I only had 1.6 kilos of pellets today so I split them in half so I could give them some tomorrow (Sunday). I can get more on Monday.
I also took 300 grams of haddock and oats.
They ate all the pellets before going to roost. Usually there is enough left to provide an additition to whatever C chucks at them.View attachment 2998969View attachment 2998970View attachment 2998971

I'm relieved that you and all the chicken are safe (though hungry) and that Lima is feeling better! I understand you're again under wind warning so I hope you can get to them today without trouble.

You know, when I was younger, I thought hunting was awful. But after becoming a chicken lady and becoming aware of animal welfare, I think it is a WAY more humane way to get meat than farming. I can respect it.
I agree in a way, but I also think it's not all black or all white...I suppose there are different ways of farming, like there are different ways of hunting. Certainly something went wrong when it started feeling normal to eat meat everyday that you get in a piece of plastic at the supermarket.

Mine looove grass, as well. The wild grass also has a variety of weeds mixed in. The mini pasture I grew from seed is also loaded with clover. They are also nuts for the oxalis this time of year!
Oh! We are literally invaded by oxalis in our garden (though we'll have it only in six weeks from now) and I never dared feed it in mass to the chickens because of oxalic acid. Do your girls eat lots of it without any trouble? This stuff is a plague when growing carrots or salads 😠.

Thank you! We had plenty of warning, so chance to batten down the hatches before it hit (hot on the heels of one that struck a bit further north in the UK), and fortunately we didn't lose power, though thousands of people west of us did. At least 88 mph here. The chickens didn't enjoy it, but I think they'd rather endure the high winds with occasional blast of rain/hail than the all-day-long driving rain, drizzle and cold of the past few weeks.
The weather us awful again today. I let the girls out briefly in the rain while I cleaned their coop. This wind and rain is so bad that I've had too shut the main door. They hate this wind

Yesterday morning I thought we had the beginning of a peace truce between the bantams and the ex batts when the first time they all gathered on the same perch.

IMG_20220219_111928.jpg

Unfortunately my hopes came to a brutal ending when sometime later Théo successfully mounted for the first time on the smallest ex-batt Blanche. The other five came down screaming and tearing him off her grabbing him by his feathers😬. And now they are really angry and constantly trying to murder him.
I'm beginning to wonder if I should add another bantam ladies because I'm afraid that if he can't get any of the ex batt, he will end up hurting the bantam lady by loving her too much. I've been checking and she seems okay up to now but I do hope he can take his place in the flock. Do you know if there is anything I can do to help ?

Yesterday morning I thought we had the beginning of a peace truce between the bantams and the ex batts when the first time they all gathered on the same perch.

View attachment 2999426

Unfortunately my hopes came to a brutal ending when sometime later Théo successfully mounted for the first time on the smallest ex-batt Blanche. The other five came down screaming and tearing him off her grabbing him by his feathers😬. And now they are really angry and constantly trying to murder him.
I'm beginning to wonder if I should add another bantam ladies because I'm afraid that if he can't get any of the ex batt, he will end up hurting the bantam lady by loving her too much. I've been checking and she seems okay up to now but I do hope he can take his place in the flock. Do you know if there is anything I can do to help ?
A couple bantam ladies would prob help!

I agree in a way, but I also think it's not all black or all white...I suppose there are different ways of farming, like there are different ways of hunting. Certainly something went wrong when it started feeling normal to eat meat everyday that you get in a piece of plastic at the supermarket.
Yes, this is a good point, too. I think farmed meat, truly pasture raised and with a death that is quick and as terror free as possible (like a single bullet to the head for cattle) is also responsible. I guess my bottom line is that I don’t think animals should suffer for us to eat them (or their eggs or their milk) and people don’t need to consume so MUCH. I agree with you that it is not all black and white and there are different paths to get there.

Back
Top Bottom