Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

We had an unforeseen storm yesterday. It didn't last for more than 30 minutes but with awful gush of wind, thunder and hail all of a sudden. Luckily Chipie had already brought the chicks in the coop. We had to pull away the hens from under the laurel tree under the hail and carry them one by one to the coop as there were branches falling everywhere, they were in a total panic.
We have lots of damage in the garden and on the property.
This morning I didn't wake up which is exceptional for me so I didn't open the coop at 5.30 but at 6. It was havoc between the hens and the little family. I noticed after they got out Chipie was bleeding in her face, she got pecked very close to her eye. I can't catch her, but it doesn't seem too bad and in the past she has always healed very well from pecks.

Rant tax :
Théo is now best friends with Nougat, who had been chasing and bullying him and Chipie since their arrival. He won her over by tidbitting!
View attachment 3174700
Bye people
View attachment 3174701
Ex-batts hen can lay in funny places too
View attachment 3174702
He monitors every move in the village below for morning gossip
View attachment 3174703
Sorry about the storm, but what an amazingly beautiful place you live in! Théo is gorgeous!

Pics of Cholo's house after adding more ventilation. I felt bad that I almost lost Gorda to heat sickness. I opened up the top of each wall and added soffit vent covers. View attachment 3176074View attachment 3176081View attachment 3176092
I keep wondering how people and animals manage and will manage in places like yours that were already really hot. Nice job and I hope the ventilation helps! But I suppose the warmest hours are during the day, when they are outside their coop ?
🥰 How is Sky ?
Tax: No rescues.but bantams on the terrace. Their tiny eggs are not for sale.
I think bantam eggs are really underrated and they could be the next thing. To me they are just the right size for breakfast, they fit exactly when fried on a slice of bread. They are very quaint and pretty. I never saw them on sale whereas quail eggs can be bought in supermarket, I think the bantam eggs are just as nice!

Yesterday I witnessed something I've read about on BYC but never actually saw in my flock. I was giving them weeds and Vanille, the alpha hen, attacked Blanche violently ; she chased her and tried to mount her like a rooster! I've wondered before if she was competing for power with Théo.

Caramel, the hen behind Cannelle in the picture, who was really sick two months ago is just starting to look like her old self. I worry she will start to lay again because last time it made her unwell again.
IMG_20220707_072122.jpg

Can you spot the explorers ?
IMG_20220707_073713.jpg

My tax!
This is the 'back coop', a covered area at the end of their run. They spend their days here if it's raining. God forbid you suggest they sleep here though. Chicken logic :confused:
It does however make an excellent trap pen for catching them.
20220706_134146.jpg

My broody pullet has doubled down and rejected any suggestions she does not in fact want to be broody. I'm in the process of convincing her she at least doesn't want to be in the main nest boxes. She's taken well to the move to the eglu coop so far. Maybe I'll give her some eggs. I'm considering it.

I do, but my bedding is pea straw for this exact reason. I'm not sure if the shavings would break down quickly enough but they could be scraped back for planting. All my bedding goes directly into all the gardens over the winter, and then into whatever area I am working on for future gardens during the growing season.
I’ve never heard of pea straw. Is that something one can buy or do you grow your own?

I didn't get much done. Too busy chatting to three lots of allotment holders.:oops:
This lot have been very kind to me and say the place is a lot better since I've been going there. Nice to be appreciated.:)
I did get Henry's legs done, and the Golden Comet with the SLM. Oh and cleaned out the coops, and the water of course, and collected the eggs. I gave six to one of the allotment holders (part of my egg share I might add). I sell around two dozen a week now which helps with the cost of the feed and stuff I buy.
I leave C half a dozen a day nicley wrapped for C to collect in the mornings. The rest it seems are now mine.:confused: The hens are laying around 100 per week atm.
View attachment 3175303
Getting the geese shut in for the night.
View attachment 3175302
100 per week???

I enjoy the fun humor, insightful tips and like minded company. Oh! and the terrific photos! Congrats on the 1/2 mil view @ Shad! Well deserved lol 😆View attachment 3176088
Fly masks for the horses... what did you think it was lol? 😂
Haha! I wondered if they were bras at first but zoomed in and figured they had to be horse masks.

This thread has reached the quarter million views.:eek:
I did not expect anything like this response when I started it. It was, as I have written near the begining, more of a diary which would not necessarily be of much interest to most.

I would like to thank all of you who have read, contributed and supported this thread. It wouldn't have happened without you all.
Also thank you for trying to keep the thread on topic and paying your taxes.:p
Congratulations, Shad. It’s well deserved.

Back
Top Bottom