Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Another warm day and due to get hot even by my standards at the weekend.
Three roosting in the new coop this evening; one in a nest box and two on a roost bar.
I'm on the lookout for a new water holder. The plastic one currently in use has a split both sides and isn't going to last much longer. Years ago one used to be able to get heavy duty rubber buckets about 20 cm deep. A couple of those would do. I can't find anything that deep. They are either around 10cm or around 100cm or more.
I'm still not happy with Henry's legs. I think there are still some mites alive under the scales. I'm going to have to dip them in surgical spirit I think but it's a two person job with the kit I have to hand.
View attachment 3185270View attachment 3185271View attachment 3185272

If you have a camping store, fishing store, hunting store, and etc you might be able to find one of the collaspible bags you use for water.

Have you had the experience of using the public toilets in Japan.

It is really different.
I have, in a Japanese cafe here in lil' ol' Swansea. Amazing! Edited to add it wasn't a public toilet in the sense I think you meant. This was one with a dozen or so buttons like the one no fly zone knew :D You can get a full wash and brush up there!

How brave are you? I couldn't cope & would refuse point blank to go to any of it~ though I quite see family could be a tad difficult. Having experienced French public toilets in remote places I do not recommend ~ not even in extreme emergencies! 🤣
The old French ‘hole-in-the-ground’ toilets are even better/ more hygenic than some of the Greek toilets where you use a bin for the toilet paper (because the drain is too narrow for toilet paper 🧻).

I'm not sure what happened with this evenings pictures. I don't seem to have got a single one in focus.:lol: I must have jogged a button or something.
I'm not sure what's going on with the chickens either. C said Henry and at some others were in the new coop when she fed them this morning. When I leave in the evenings there are only two on the roost bars and sometimes one in the nest box.:confused:

Small step. C has finally thrown the DE away.:celebrateNot much chance of C forking out for Permethrin spray but I've got enough to be going on with.
I've been told that I must teach C how to pick up chickens. A couple of people from the allotments saw C trying to pick up a hen recently. It was all very flappy and panic. One happened to mention that when I pick them up they sit quietly in my hand and that it seems did not go down well.
On top of this Henry got set up to have a go at C this evening. Luckily I saw it coming and intervened. C didn't even notice but the two people C was talking to did.
I got given a plant by one of the allotment holders who I don't think we will be seeing again. With the plant was a note which said how glad she was that I would be looking after the chickens. I hardly know this person and was rather touched.

Coop progress is slow. I've got a more or less free day tomorrow and hopefully I'll get the window finished and some of the vents.

P7141460.JPG
P7141461.JPG
P7141462.JPG
P7141463.JPG

I'm not sure what happened with this evenings pictures. I don't seem to have got a single one in focus.:lol: I must have jogged a button or something.
I'm not sure what's going on with the chickens either. C said Henry and at some others were in the new coop when she fed them this morning. When I leave in the evenings there are only two on the roost bars and sometimes one in the nest box.:confused:

Small step. C has finally thrown the DE away.:celebrateNot much chance of C forking out for Permethrin spray but I've got enough to be going on with.
I've been told that I must teach C how to pick up chickens. A couple of people from the allotments saw C trying to pick up a hen recently. It was all very flappy and panic. One happened to mention that when I pick them up they sit quietly in my hand and that it seems did not go down well.
On top of this Henry got set up to have a go at C this evening. Luckily I saw it coming and intervened. C didn't even notice but the two people C was talking to did.
I got given a plant by one of the allotment holders who I don't think we will be seeing again. With the plant was a note which said how glad she was that I would be looking after the chickens. I hardly know this person and was rather touched.

Coop progress is slow. I've got a more or less free day tomorrow and hopefully I'll get the window finished and some of the vents.

View attachment 3186373View attachment 3186374View attachment 3186376View attachment 3186377
What is the best way to pick up a chicken? Now I’m curious!

Back
Top Bottom