Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Good afternoon an greetings from Eastern Germany.
2F30EBD6-BC93-4FE9-A2FB-B4AB61C442AF.jpeg

This was our view yesterday evening eating a pizza. :gig

I’m not following at the moment. Just a post for fun.

8676E32B-7A84-4510-A6D9-403847B187F7.jpeg

Tax with battery type hens. Probably not ex-bats though. The pic was made on a hike when we passed a little village. 🌲👋

Fox are opportunists predators and will take the easy prey. I think that is part of the reason why they come back once they know the setting and what their chance of success is. However sometimes they will have a behaviour that contradicts this either because they are very hungry or because they need to feed their family, like the attack I mentioned on our neighbour farmer Gaston's chicks, where the fox passed through a dozen herding dogs and an Anatolian LGD.

Our coop being a basement under our living room is secure from almost anything except rats, but I would say a big part of the security comes from sharing our house with the chickens. Though muffled when we're inside we hear what's going on in the coop and run. If we have our windows open it's like the chickens were in our room. There's no way a fox.would have the time to get in the run, which is not so secure, without us hearing it.
That is so interesting. Your coop basement, I mean. I'd like to see pictures. I'll bet it is much cooler in the summer. I was researching bermed chicken coops a while back, because of our summer heat. Being as I am terrified of rats, and we have clay soil, I decided it wasn't a good idea here.

That is so interesting. Your coop basement, I mean. I'd like to see pictures. I'll bet it is much cooler in the summer. I was researching bermed chicken coops a while back, because of our summer heat. Being as I am terrified of rats, and we have clay soil, I decided it wasn't a good idea here.
I've spoken (and ranted) quite a bit about it in this thread, like here and here.
It's hard to take good photos as it's so dark inside. Here are some.
IMG_20220815_154321.jpg

IMG_20200217_102220.jpg

IMG_20220815_154430.jpg

IMG_20220815_154359.jpg

IMG_20220815_154514.jpg

Back
Top Bottom