Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

how did you break her liver?
Inexperience.

I discovered the local pet shop stocked dried meal worms and offered them to the hens. They looooved them and I gave way too many for about a month, with cheese sometimes too.

Peggy is the littlest and she got very sick. First Mark the vet thought it was her pancreas, so we put her on special enzymes. No real improvement. So he x-rayed her and it showed something inside her was enlarged and pushing her intestines out of place. So he opened her up to take a look and found hepatic lipidosis. Closed her up again and prescribed a strict healthy diet, which I've stuck to for about a year or so. She's doing great these days. I take her back for a check up every three months and Mark says she's thriving now.

Mealworms are a rare treat now, and I got them switched over to cottage cheese too (oddly, cheese was one of the ingredients in the strict diet).

That's so sweet. How often I wonder do we kill with kindness? Thankfully you didn't. And how lucky to have a vet like that!
His abilities kept her alive. That's why I'm an advocate for vet care. It bothers me that so few people can access avian vets. I consider myself very lucky to have the hens under Mark's care.

It can be both. Same genes has been first and then if no blood realtives can be found to live with then it seems to go by looks next. It is more complicated and of course, how the chickens are kept has a huge influence.
One can only really see this in action when the chickens free range over acres of land and there are differnet breeds to start with.
"If no blood relative can be found it seems to by looks next".

There's a similarity to humans there imo :)

That's so sweet. How often I wonder do we kill with kindness? Thankfully you didn't. And how lucky to have a vet like that!
Also, I'm never worried about mites, worms, etc. Mark checks them and says they're clear. It's very soothing to know they're not suffering from parasites.

"If no blood relative can be found it seems to by looks next".

There's a similarity to humans there imo :)
Not in my life. My family, friends and colleagues make literally colourful group :)

But of course there are many folks who either choose their own or have never had the opportunity to mix.

His abilities kept her alive. That's why I'm an advocate for vet care. It bothers me that so few people can access avian vets. I consider myself very lucky to have the hens under Mark's care.
I can't tell you enough how awful it feels too have encountered bad vets in the past and now finding that i cannot get a vet too so much as visit or even advise me by phone for my chickens.

They will give human beings advice and prescriptions by phone but will not grant the same help for animal's.

Out of countless vets I found 3 that in the end proved their worth, one being when I was very young, he dealt with my bird to the best of his ability right too the end

You are extremely lucky indeed :) I wish I could meet Mark

Given there are roughly twice as many red ones as there are grey ones I would expect to see a mix more like the last picture in the series in group shots.
PA150499.JPG
PB020811.JPG
PB080897.JPG
PB110925.JPG
PB150985.JPG
PB171012.JPG
PB171017.JPG
PB201050.JPG
PB241118.JPG
PB261145.JPG
PB150993.JPG

Attachments

• PB261145.JPG
    PB261145.JPG
    362.3 KB · Views: 2
  • PB241118.JPG
    PB241118.JPG
    373.1 KB · Views: 2
  • PB171017.JPG
    PB171017.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 2
  • PB171012.JPG
    PB171012.JPG
    456.5 KB · Views: 3
  • PB150993.JPG
    PB150993.JPG
    361.4 KB · Views: 3
  • PB150985.JPG
    PB150985.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 3
  • PB110925.JPG
    PB110925.JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 2
  • PB080897.JPG
    PB080897.JPG
    445.8 KB · Views: 2
  • PB020811.JPG
    PB020811.JPG
    498 KB · Views: 2
  • PA150499.JPG
    PA150499.JPG
    398.5 KB · Views: 3
I can't tell you enough how awful it feels too have encountered bad vets in the past and now finding that i cannot get a vet too so much as visit or even advise me by phone for my chickens.

They will give human beings advice and prescriptions by phone but will not grant the same help for animal's.

Out of countless vets I found 3 that in the end proved their worth, one being when I was very young, he dealt with my bird to the best of his ability right too the end

You are extremely lucky indeed :) I wish I could meet Mark
All of the Aussies have vets that provide care for their chickens. It's not just me. Some of the Americans too.

Maybe the UK is simply not educating enough vets?

Back
Top Bottom