Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Oh my gosh, what is that rainbow of a rooster? Beautiful!
Sorry for the delay in responding...holidays and all. In any case, he's a Brown Leghorn. We have three and I think they're all three beautiful. We also have this handsome guy below, who is an Easter Egger.
20211205_163045.jpg

1) I cannot find anywhere close enough to drive that does the rescues (maybe I'm not looking good enough, but I've hardly found any rescues in the U.S. for battery hens. Surrendered animals amd extra roosters, heck yeah, the local shelter always has at least one. But battery/egg factory hens, I cannot find any remotely close).
I didn't find any places doing rescues when I was looking either. The place that I got my ex batts from is a pretty small operation and I got them directly from the farm. Visits to the farm aren't permitted but I have seen pictures of it. None of these numbers are concrete, just my estimates based on pictures. Hens are kept in coops with a fenced in run around them. The coops look to be about 10x10 feet. The coops are crowded but not nearly as bad as the big commercial farms. The runs are fenced with a 5 foot fence and have about 20 square feet per hen and are bare dirt lots. The hens are sold off for $8 per hen at 16 to 18 months old. The hens were in pretty good shape when I got them. They were mostly feathered although their feathers were pretty damaged. They all seem to have had a minor trim on the front beak but they are able to shape their bottom beaks on their own so that they have nearly correct alignment. They are able to eat what they find while digging. You might be able to find an operation around you. They posted ads in the local feed stores and on Craigslist.

I’ve now caught up to page 20. The 19th page contains the informative post regarding the history behind the tax system. I am most definitely in arrears, as I’m 1/3 of the way to caught up on this journey. However, I didn’t want to pay until I understood why I was paying. I shall now stop evading and pay up. Sammy here is the love of my life, even though he’s only 4 months old. 🥰

Attachments

• F49F6668-4B4A-4D0F-ACDA-984D16B9ECF0.jpeg
    F49F6668-4B4A-4D0F-ACDA-984D16B9ECF0.jpeg
    890.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 67A59784-7A91-4764-B3F8-0D2EF4C49621.jpeg
    67A59784-7A91-4764-B3F8-0D2EF4C49621.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom