Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I am curious how did Henry make it to there is the birds are x batts? Please?
Henry's father was a rescue I believe, but a good few years ago. The person who originally set the project up kept a small number of chickens. So Henry was hatched at the allotments. The Light Sussex hen is Henry's daughter. I don't know what happened to the mother. Henry, Matilda and Volt and Amp have lived on the allotments for some time. The Ex Battery hens were only introduced a couple of years ago.

It's hard to say. In optimal conditions and in the company of other chickens who know what they're doing, I'd suggest it's possible but I can't mount a strong argument for that suggestion, only that in behavioural matters, context is a huge driver.
I should've read all the posts before piping up. I've added repetition and little else. Sorry folks!

IMG_2021-12-07-17-40-06-458~2.jpg

I do hope you're planning on staying around. You've got some intersting observations and better knowledge than I have on Ex Batt behaviour.
I'm perry much working on theory and most likely extrapolation from little experience.
This lot wander despite Henry's best efforts. He knows he should be keeping the group together but 20 hens for one rooster is a lot to keep in order. He hasn't had that much practice either so I've been surprised how quickly he's picked up on what he should be doing.
I do plan on it. It is very interesting to see the different experiences that people have with the ex batts. The hens that I have now are the only experience I have ever had with ex batts. It is almost a bit of a science experiment to see what behaviors occur across the board and which seem to be based in individuals.
My boy has had a pretty steep learning curve with the hens since he got here. He is a rescue case himself. He was one of 4 boys that I picked up last fall from someone in my area. They had gotten eggs from a farmer they knew and incubated them. They got 4 to hatch (who all turned out to be boys). They kept them in a box until they were a couple weeks old and then moved them outside to a 3ftx6ft chicken tractor. They were kept in that tractor (which they never moved even once) until they were 4 months old when I got them. 2 of the boys were severely deformed from incubator related leg and feet issues. The third was here for a little while until he started attacking family members.

Yeah, it's interesting and it's what I've found to be the case.
I also found that once one or two got the hang of it it broke out like a rash.:D
I had an ISA that went broody when eggs weren’t collected for a few days. First chickens we had ever had so first broody experience. She was easy to break by just lifting her out of the box (unfortunately we have no rooster so no chance of chicks.)
My speckled Sussex pullet this spring on the other hand was very determined without eggs or rooster. It was such a shame I couldn’t get her eggs to hatch. She was ‘raised’ with her ‘sister’ Snow from 6 weeks by the sister of the broody ISA that was still with us. They came from a local farm but not sure of how they were hatched or kept until I bought them (hen or incubator).
I will be sure to ask these things whenever I get more ladies for interests sake.

Tax
F1E55353-E129-4D75-A591-B6995A39EA5F.jpeg

Bokky, the wise teacher of backyard peepers.

Back
Top Bottom