Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Tax: Chicken warriors in the fight against food waste.
005.JPG

I also prefer feeding organic to my hens (like we eat). In the EU GMO is banned for human food but not animal food and I don't feel comfortable with feeding soy (the main source here of protein in hen feed) that could be GMO and likely come from zones of amazonian deforestation . However it's difficult to find organic sources of protein that replace soy (which they do not use in the organic feed we can find, probably because it's more rare and more expensive).
So the organic chicken feed we get here is either four times the price, or it's not the greatest, unfortunately. I'd be interested to know if it's the same elsewhere.
Where do you live ManueB?
In NL you pay about 1.5 x for organic. € 29,- for 25 kg The ingredients list is comparable with regular / GMO feed. I think it’s odd that GMO soy and corn (with poison residues) is allowed for eggs/meat production. Bc if it’s in the hens it gets in the eggs too.

Do I need to pay tax for responding to a ‘off-topic’ post too?

Where do you live ManueB?
In NL you pay about 1.5 x for organic. € 29,- for 25 kg The ingredients list is comparable with regular / GMO feed. I think it’s odd that GMO soy and corn (with poison residues) is allowed for eggs/meat production. Bc if it’s in the hens it gets in the eggs too.

Do I need to pay tax for responding to a ‘off-topic’ post too?
@BDutch : I was too quick on this. GMO are not forbidden by European rules in food, but strictly regulated . I am in France and I in my country it is almost impossible to find human food that contains GMO soy now, or corn. However it is still frequent in animal food and unfortunately not always clearly labeled.
I'm very limited on scientific notions so I'm unsure if GMO eaten by an hen really get to the egg, like a chemical substance would. I'm just not confortable with it.
Here standard layer feed cost around 10 euros for 25 kilos, whereas organic cost between 23 to 50 euros for that amount. We pay 28 euros, so that's pretty much the same as you. However it only has 16% protein , whereas conventional layer feed usually has 18%.
I'm letting you pay tax on this really off subject topic 😬.

Back
Top Bottom