Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Has she healed slower since she is already sick?

My hen with cancer died yesterday.
I don't think so. Once I had stopped the bleeding the wound scabbed over quickly. She hasn't eaten properly, or at least not enough to make her crop feel as full as the others for some time. She prefers to forage rather than eat the layers pellets and of course, she'll eat fish and nuts and other goodies.
It's sad when they die. I can't help wondering if giving them something like Metacam for their last few days might ease any pain they feel.
Did you bury your hen?

P1220268.JPG
P1220269.JPG
P1220270.JPG
P1220271.JPG
P1220272.JPG
P1220273.JPG

Forage in the allotment run is rather sparse now. I opened the gate to the allotment run into the whole allotment this afternoon and a few of the hens ventured out into unexplored territory. I didn't take any pictures. I was too busy keeping an eye on the more adventurous hens. There was some small confusion about going back through the gate at dusk to ge to roost but evryone worked it out and next time should be easier.

It's sad when they die. I can't help wondering if giving them something like Metacam for their last few days might ease any pain they feel.
Did you bury your hen?
I have wondered about medicating them as well. She had taken a turn for the worst a couple of days ago and I had decided to put her out of her misery but she was dead when I went to close up the coop for the night.

She will be buried once the ground thaws. We still have a couple feet of snow over the graveyard.

Back
Top Bottom