Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Tax: the hen in question. Her chick down was grey so she was named Old Lady by a cousin of mine.

IMG_20200723_131830628.jpg
IMG_20201205_104253689.jpg
IMG_20210414_141822249.jpg

I would think that either the bird is preoccupied with its illness and is not working to rid itself of pests?
Or perhaps the lice/mites are opportunists and the ill bird is sending a chemical signal that encourages the external parasites?
We have noticed within our short experience with chickens, that a hen unwell will not dustbathe. We kind of got the feeling that when they started dustbathing again, it meant they felt a bit better.

Update started 5 ft field fence outside the old fence..
Neighbor with dog walked out. She said it was theirs but they had euthanized the dog already. She had not known birds died?.. We are taking a break as old folks we deserve it.
Still a bit confused on that one.
What a sad situation! Does this mean she euthanized the dog because it attacked some other animals ?

No tax problem:
View attachment 2973493
Rhode island red cockerel. His name is Kwik, this means mercury and Kwik in Dutch is also the name of one of Donald ducks nephews. Beside that the pronunciation is the same as quick.

P.s. forgot to mention this is a bantam RIR.
Kwik is beautiful! Doesn't have at all that awkward teenager aura like my mongrel bantam cockerel. How old is he?

By the way but out of subject...I looked at what type of medication meat chickens and layers are allowed in the EU and it's the opposite way round of what I thought, it's more restricted for laying flocks. They are not allowed anticoccidial whereas it is allowed for broilers. The exact reason why I didn't really get (why it would stay longer in the eggs than in the meat).

Has she healed slower since she is already sick?

My hen with cancer died yesterday.
Sad (Shad doesn’t think people mean it when they say sorry, which is why I said sad.). I lost two with confirmed cancer within the last several months. Lost another to what appeared to be a septic infection, but no necropsy on her.

Back
Top Bottom