Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Oh! We are literally invaded by oxalis in our garden (though we'll have it only in six weeks from now) and I never dared feed it in mass to the chickens because of oxalic acid. Do your girls eat lots of it without any trouble? This stuff is a plague when growing carrots or salads 😠.
No, not lots, but they do enjoy it. What problems does oxalic acid cause? Large parts of this property are completely invaded by it, so it’s going to stay. I also think it’s pretty. 🤣

Last edited:
No, not lots, but they do enjoy it. What problems dies oxalic acid cause? Large parts of this priperty are completely invaded by it, so it’s going to stay. I also think it’s pretty. 🤣
Well, it's an anti-nutrient, both for people and animals. When binding with calcium it turns into oxalate, which may stop other minerals absorption, and cause kidney problems : https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2012.01309.x

I also find it kind of pretty, but it drives my partner completely crazy. He's done all sorts of things to try to get rid off it without any success 🙂.

Found I had a lot of them killed 40 before I had a bit of break.
I found where they lived and used dry ice to kill them all at once.

Mass Extinction tax

20220216_165503.jpg

Beautiful eggs! I'm glad to hear the chickens and coop survived the storm. Does the coop have posts driven into the ground or does it just sit at ground level?
Good question to which I don't know the answer. I think originally it just rested on the ground but over the years the base has become buried under the accumulation of mud and chicken shite.

Back
Top Bottom