Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I have a nice branch I salvaged years ago that I use as a breakfast bar for the girls.

I pour a little free range scratch mix on it. It keeps the seeds off the ground and the girls can enjoy digging it out of the crevices. Whatever they miss will often sprout in the crevices and they get fresh greens!

PXL_20210806_000054060.MP.jpg

To free range successfully one needs everything you can see in the following pictures. Don't just concentrate on the environment, look at who's in it and where they are.
Really simple things can make a huge difference. Note the fences for example. Rather than a solid wall the fences have stock net on them and a horizontal bar chickens can get under. These bars with the net have saved quite a few chickens from hawks.
Note the chicks pictures. One word from mum and thos chicks will just disappear into the undergrowth. You can't kill what you can't see.
It's all about layers of cover. Trees above and heavy duty shrubs and bushes under them.
Not a lot of point in free ranging if everytime one loses a chicken one has to bring in another one or two to replace it. One needs the chickens to be able to reproduce themselves. That means roosters and broodies.
Chickens can turn a small plot into a desert within weeks left to range on it. One needs space, roughly an acre per pair if one intends them to forage for the majority of their food.
Even after all the above, someone needs to be there outside with them. Chickens thrived on farms and smallholdings not just because of space and cover but also because people worked on the land, pretty much from dawn to dusk and the chickens tended to gather where the humans worked.
Able, Fat Bird, Mora, Where and Rufles.JPG
P1062300.JPG
P1191284.JPG
P1241341.JPG
P1241343.JPG
P1241345.JPG
P2020265.JPG
P2022304.JPG
P2042351.JPG
P2292665.JPG
P3112863.JPG

After this one needs the right mentality. If you're going to have a major breakdown every time a chicken gets killed then full free ranging isn't for you.
The idea is the chickens live with you rather than you keep them. They are not your chickens. They belong to themselves, just like the other wild creatures on the land, much like providing bird food and nesting boxes for wild birds one encourages to use the land you live on.

To free range successfully one needs everything you can see in the following pictures. Don't just concentrate on the environment, look at who's in it and where they are.
Really simple things can make a huge difference. Note the fences for example. Rather than a solid wall the fences have stock net on them and a horizontal bar chickens can get under. These bars with the net have saved quite a few chickens from hawks.
Note the chicks pictures. One word from mum and thos chicks will just disappear into the undergrowth. You can't kill what you can't see.
It's all about layers of cover. Trees above and heavy duty shrubs and bushes under them.
Not a lot of point in free ranging if everytime one loses a chicken one has to bring in another one or two to replace it. One needs the chickens to be able to reproduce themselves. That means roosters and broodies.
Chickens can turn a small plot into a desert within weeks left to range on it. One needs space, roughly an acre per pair if one intends them to forage for the majority of their food.
Even after all the above, someone needs to be there outside with them. Chickens thrived on farms and smallholdings not just because of space and cover but also because people worked on the land, pretty much from dawn to dusk and the chickens tended to gather where the humans worked.View attachment 3001445View attachment 3001446View attachment 3001447View attachment 3001448View attachment 3001450View attachment 3001451View attachment 3001452View attachment 3001454View attachment 3001456View attachment 3001458View attachment 3001459
So wonderful to see these types of pictures again.

So now I'm just willing to stay here as a permanent vacation ☺️.
I feel the same way with our place. I have space, I have a garden, I'm working on an orchard, and I have chickens. Why would I want to leave?

Unfortunately, DH wants to do some traveling. I'm going to have to find someone (one of the neighbors) to tend the chickens for a week. I drew the line at a two week vaca... I can't leave the garden for two weeks and expect to be able to "catch up" with it after. And I'm NOT leaving the chickens for two weeks. No way, no how. Some trips he'll have to do by himself.

:oops: I really just don't want to go...

Back
Top Bottom