Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

C was already at the allotments when I got there this afternoon and the chickens had been fed and were out of their run. I took them scrambled egg as a treat today. That's Lima on the right of the picture with the white chest.
P2250477.JPG

A half decent shot of Carbon (I think)
P2250479.JPG

Grooming time around Bucket Boy in the chair.
P2250480.JPG

C and I gave Henry a check over this afternoon. C is very good with Henry. He's not easy to catch once he knows that is what you are trying to do, but once you've got him he's a dream. He does have a bit of a sulk after though.:)
I decided to give him Ivermectin to try and put a stop to the recurring leg mite problem. He doesn't lay eggs so that makes him a prime candidate for such treament.

Last edited:
C and I gave Henry a check over this afternoon. C is very good with Henry. He's not easy to catch one he knows that is what you are trying to do, but once you've got him he's a dream. He does have a bit of a sulk after though.:)
I decided to give him Ivermectin to try and put a stop to the recurring leg mite problem. He doesn't lay eggs so that makes him a prime candidate for such treament.
I hope it works. Should keep him safe from COVID too. 😜

I'm curious, does she acknowledge how well they're doing?
Yes, we had a talk about it. She can see how much better they look as can some others who have been to the allotments and commented.
The difference is very noticable if you know the chickens. It's not just how they look, it's how they act as well. None stand around with their heads in their chests close to the weeds by the run fence any more. They all look more confident and stronger. Of course the time out on natural ground encourages them to run and dig and even a bit of this each day helps build muscle and they put on healthy weight (muscle) rather than fat.
It's taken around six months of standing in the cold and rain for a couple of hours every day, plus some medications and decent quality feeding to get them to this state.

Yes, we had a talk about it. She can see how much better they look as can some others who have been to the allotments and commented.
The difference is very noticable if you know the chickens. It's not just how they look, it's how they act as well. None stand around with their heads in their chests close to the weeds by the run fence any more. They all look more confident and stronger. Of course the time out on natural ground encourages them to run and dig and even a bit of this each day helps build muscle and they put on healthy weight (muscle) rather than fat.
It's taken around six months of standing in the cold and rain for a couple of hours every day, plus some medications and decent quality feeding to get them to this state.
They had much to gain.

At least acknowledgement is forthcoming.

Back
Top Bottom