Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Another hawk attack and this time it wounded one of the girls šŸ˜ž. She's got one eye completely closed and some bloody pecks around the other. We cleaned the wounds and put some saline solution inside her eye, It seems normal inside but the lid is swollen. Now she's inside with us in a box looking like she's in pain, she ate a little though. Don't know yet if it's just complete shock or if she has some internal damage we can't see.
Do you have terramycin to treat the eye with? Others here may know better but I will crush a baby aspirin and mix it with water then put a drops in her mouth with a syringe. I hope she will be ok. šŸ™

No, we don't have terramycin and from what I can gather it's only available under prescription here. Aspirin I can get from a neighbor but I'm afraid to use it if she has internal damage.

On Sunday, everything is closed.If she lives tomorrow my partner's going to the pharmacy to see if they have anything.. but they probably will have to order it. I think I can order eye veterycin online also, but in both cases it won't be here before Thursday.

No, we don't have terramycin and from what I can gather it's only available under prescription here. Aspirin I can get from a neighbor but I'm afraid to use it if she has internal damage.

On Sunday, everything is closed.If she lives tomorrow my partner's going to the pharmacy to see if they have anything.. but they probably will have to order it. I think I can order eye veterycin online also, but in both cases it won't be here before Thursday.
I had forgotten that you are overseas and don't have readily available access to meds. At this moment you have done all you can. Prayers for your girl. Remember that chickens are very resilient.

For shock a bit of sugar water is a good idea. Easily accessible calories without the whole digestive system needing to work.
Same principle behind why we offer people hot sweet tea.

Thank you ! I'm slightly more hopeful now because she has eaten, and drunk some hydratation solution, and also complained a little. Hopefully the only real damage was to the eye, now she sleeps.
We were at the bottom of the property putting up fencing when we heard the shrieks and because it's very steep it took us 3 minutes to run up to the hen's place, unfortunately.

Morning ex Batts rain is back a few days
Lost the little blue EE in the banty coop she was not strong enough to make it poor girl :confused:
008.jpg

Sadly no as I'm not allowed a roo but she is the sweetest, friendliest little thing.
To bad. You'd have to buy them if you want more. Your is beautiful.
Another hawk attack and this time it wounded one of the girls šŸ˜ž. She's got one eye completely closed and some bloody pecks around the other. We cleaned the wounds and put some saline solution inside her eye, It seems normal inside but the lid is swollen. Now she's inside with us in a box looking like she's in pain, she ate a little though. Don't know yet if it's just complete shock or if she has some internal damage we can't see.
Sorry this happened. But try not to beat yourself up about it. Your doing the best you can do.

Back
Top Bottom