Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Well I've missed quite a bit after a few busy days away. I won't go through and revive all the conversations though. I will say that although the chickens here are here as livestock, they are partners in much of the work here. They'll do just about anything if one knows how to ask. Being that they are free to go wherever they may please, one cannot truly claim to own them. I suppose though that I have that same view of all the livestock here. They are partners, not slaves.

I spent the whole day outside today and of course forgot to take a single picture so I will have to remain in debt for the time being. Our weather is taking a turn towards spring and the snow is beginning to melt so I should be able to get some good pictures in the morning.

Well I've missed quite a bit after a few busy days away. I won't go through and revive all the conversations though. I will say that although the chickens here are here as livestock, they are partners in much of the work here. They'll do just about anything if one knows how to ask. Being that they are free to go wherever they may please, one cannot truly claim to own them. I suppose though that I have that same view of all the livestock here. They are partners, not slaves.

I spent the whole day outside today and of course forgot to take a single picture so I will have to remain in debt for the time being. Our weather is taking a turn towards spring and the snow is beginning to melt so I should be able to get some good pictures in the morning.
Same here. I can't wait to get green pics ibstead of brown and white!!

Thaw coming here, too, after days of ice following a storm of sleet and frozen rain. Made for some interesting pics, but sans chickens as they would not come out until today. I am going to post a no-chicken pic anyway, this is from Friday when The Man had to hike 3/4 of a mile out to meet a ride to work bc the ride could not get to our house.

20220225_075245.jpg

ETA: not our dog, neighbor's dog directing traffic.

What kind of hawks do you have where you live ManueB?
Hopefully there is no internal damage.
I'm not sure. We are right next to a reservation so I checked their documentation on birds of prey and it could either be a sparrowhawk or a goshawk. It was pretty clever, because it flew over the day before but didn't attack since I was there. It must have seen we were too far away to intervene.

To their credits the girls did really well : two, including the one that he caught hid in the laurel tree and the 5 others actually hid really well under a stack of hay in the corner of the coop. All I could see was a pair of eyes 🥺.
Théo, however, just flew away! and flewed back 15 MN after it was over : from his poop we gathered he went 50 meters above our house 😂.

I checked and it's available over the counter so I will definitely pick some up.
It's crazy the difference. In the states you can get quite a few antibiotics for animals over the counter. Here you always need a prescription, and now EU is even thinking of completely banning antibiotics use for vets!
I can see both points of view but right now I would really prefer being able to get some terramycin or Neosporin 😬.

Here is a bit to hold you over. 😉
20211005_175639.jpg

Those angry looks of them at the door are so funny 😂
They’ll crowd around the door when I go in and the dogs have to dodge around them to get inside. Penny knows she’s supposed to leave them alone and gets anxious trying to get past them. Sisko will come inside but then sit on the other side of the glass and just watch them. He knows they’re to be left alone, but the hunting dog genes won’t let him ignore them completely. They smell too interesting.
There was one afternoon when my kids left the back door open and we had a few chickens wandering around the basement checking out the place and making a mess. 🙄😆

Back
Top Bottom