Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

They’ll crowd around the door when I go in and the dogs have to dodge around them to get inside. Penny knows she’s supposed to leave them alone and gets anxious trying to get past them. Sisko will come inside but then sit on the other side of the glass and just watch them. He knows they’re to be left alone, but the hunting dog genes won’t let him ignore them completely. They smell too interesting.
There was one afternoon when my kids left the back door open and we had a few chickens wandering around the basement checking out the place and making a mess. 🙄😆
They are curious bird. I remember we did up that I found a strange round rubber yellow thing the shape of a small button in her gizzard. Didn't know what it was, but apparently it tasted or looked good to her because she ate it, whole by the looks of it.

They’ll crowd around the door when I go in and the dogs have to dodge around them to get inside. Penny knows she’s supposed to leave them alone and gets anxious trying to get past them. Sisko will come inside but then sit on the other side of the glass and just watch them. He knows they’re to be left alone, but the hunting dog genes won’t let him ignore them completely. They smell too interesting.
There was one afternoon when my kids left the back door open and we had a few chickens wandering around the basement checking out the place and making a mess. 🙄😆
We have these issues too. The dog will go to a different door if the chickens are on the back door step, unless I'm with him, in which case he does his very best 'heel' and is practically glued to my leg as we push past them :gig (The speedy Gonzales of the flock still manage to slip in before I can get the door shut :th)

Last edited:
The bantams are one year old today.

20220228_091404.jpg
20220228_091215.jpg
20220228_091622.jpg

now that I've moved and travel eight miles a day to get there
That certainly is commitment. In Wales we have free bus passes for pensioners; is it the same in England? Perhaps more importantly, how long does this take you by public transport? (Freebies are worthless if the service is unsuitable, for whatever reason.)

Sadly no as I'm not allowed a roo but she is the sweetest, friendliest little thing.
I guess you'll just have to learn to AI a hen ;)

Beekiss uses cod liver oil on the legs
cod liver oil or castor oil?

I mix Betadine and Vaseline 25% to 75%. The Betadine is anti fungal as well as antiseptic.
Castor oil is both of those as well as as anti "several other things". And unlike Vaseline, it isn't gooey but will smother mites. I used it to remove a wart from my thumb that Compound W took down until I stopped using it, popped right back up. No sign of the wart after a few weeks of daily castor oil treatment. No gluing to the skin like C-W, no "crust" removal, no skin ripping. That was a couple of years ago.

The Man had to hike 3/4 of a mile out to meet a ride to work bc the ride could not get to our house.
One does what they have to do! Did you go down with the chainsaw later and cut the tree out of the driveway?

Back
Top Bottom