Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Mornning X Batts. Great stories on your tribes Shad.
Cold but dry here today no rain expected.

Wasn't expecting this, though it was a beautiful story. Thank you for the link, and for the warning.
The two stories I read made me want to read the whole thread.

Very good story, both heartwarming and sad. Chickens are definitely intelligent creatures with a full range of emotions.

I can't say it any better. I've bookmarked the thread and will be reading the whole thing, a bit at a time.
Pleased you liked them.:)

Not a pleasant day. Damp, cold and windy; some gusts strong enough to make you stagger. It even tried to snow at one point.
Everybody came out.
I told Henry when he went to roost he should get in with the hens.
I checked Henry skin and feather problems. He hardly moves now if I go through his feathers. Had a look in his beak and checked his ears.
He's broken a toe a long time ago I discovered. I was giving his feet a check and when I felt along one of his toes I could feel the bump and on closer inspection could see that toe was out of line.
P4060805.JPG

P4060806.JPG
P4060807.JPG
P4060808.JPG

This is the hen I thought looked off peak. She's not any better. She's eating and doing as the rest but when she stops she goes into a slightly hunched up pose. I have looked and didn't find anything obvious. I'll have another look tomorrow. She was early getting into the coop.
P4060810.JPG

I just noticed your post regarding the feral chickens. I have been absent on BYC for a while after they decided to move forward with the decision to "control" the feral chicken population here in Hawaii. This news hit me hard... all of the chickens I write about on here are feral chickens. I can't imagine a place without them. While I do not think that this pilot program will be successful, it makes me sad that they even want to try.

I'm really sad too read this it must be hard on you :hugs:hugs

It's sickens me why they feel they have the right to just kill off as and when they please. That's narcissists for you :(

Red's eye has healed completely. I think we'll keep Cholo but will avoid letting them range together.
I hope this works out for them and for you.
Pleased you liked them.:)
I read the other stories and I wish there were more, I am curious to know about Cheepy's descendants. You certainly have a knack for storytelling.

This is the hen I thought looked off peak. She's not any better. She's eating and doing as the rest but when she stops she goes into a slightly hunched up pose. I have looked and didn't find anything obvious
Hope it doesn't get worse, how did you find her today?
My hen Vanille wasn't well last week, she had several soft eggs in a row. We gave her a dewormer and she was doing better but today she definitely took a turn for the worse.

Good morning X Batts. Suppose to see 70 here one day only..
After a bit of snow and hail last week we're having a weird warm storm today. So much wind we locked the chickens in and we can't light the stove. The weather is so unreliable 😟.

I hope this works out for them and for you.

I read the other stories and I wish there were more, I am curious to know about Cheepy's descendants. You certainly have a knack for storytelling.

Hope it doesn't get worse, how did you find her today?
My hen Vanille wasn't well last week, she had several soft eggs in a row. We gave her a dewormer and she was doing better but today she definitely took a turn for the worse.

After a bit of snow and hail last week we're having a weird warm storm today. So much wind we locked the chickens in and we can't light the stove. The weather is so unreliable 😟.
Tina doesn't want too go out very much with this wind it's such weird weather

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom