Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Two hours today. I'm still watching Lima. She had a small amount of calcium carbonate today. I hope that helps until I can get some cirate and get that down her. She may of course be terminally worn out like the others.
P4120851.JPG
P4120852.JPG
P4120853.JPG

and now i see that laserbeak has an early case of bumblefoot on both feet

:he
When it rains, it pours sometimes. It’s good that you caught it early though. It will save her a lot of discomfort to have it treated right away. Still, I’m sorry you’ve got so much chicken drama right now.
Ok- went back out now that it is completely dark. Sky was still in the nesting box, but only halfway on the fake eggs. When I tried to push them under her, she started pecking the crap out of my hand. I will take that as a good sign.
That’s disappointing. A lot of people on here say first time broody hens are a bit of a wild card, and from what I experienced with mine last fall, I’d agree. I’ll give her another chance to incubate some eggs at some point, just to see if the second time goes smoother now that she’s more experienced. It seems doubtful that Sky will accept chicks if she’s not acting broody anymore. @Shadrach will probably shake his head and grumble at me for saying this, but socializing brooder chicks is a lot of fun. Until they get bigger and start making a mess, that is. Then it’s a countdown until they can go outside. 🙃

Back
Top Bottom