Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Safe to say that Lobo is chicken friendly

Attachments

• 20220426_155758.jpg
    20220426_155758.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 5
They are in a brooder in my living room. The hens aren't raising them.
How could I have forgotten sky's mischief and the interesting linguistic discussion about the fact that she rumbled you, and that they are in the brooder 😁 I meant that as an image.

Oh, and did you get the racoon ? And are the two scissorbeaks chicks managing to eat normally?

We like snakes also. We used to have quite a few wild ones but unfortunately our cats and hens ate them.

How could I have forgotten sky's mischief and the interesting linguistic discussion about the fact that she rumbled you, and that they are in the brooder 😁 I meant that as an image.

Oh, and did you get the racoon ? And are the two scissorbeaks chicks managing to eat normally?
One raccoon has been eliminated, and the two scissorbeak chicks are able to eat w/o issues.

I've signed the Hawaii petition, cheered on allotment coop expansion, wished good health for Shadrach and Agatha and Vanille and Skeksis offspring, ogled ManueB's spectacular view, and so on, all without commenting. So here's tax for lurking: video of Stilton acting like a gentleman at nap time, and photos of the Stilton sandwich that's typical nowadays when he decides to dustbathe.

He's worked hard on his manners as he approaches 2 years old, and the hens have noticed. More than half now groom him.

Best believe no matter how many hens try to push her out of the way, his BFF Miss Ashley still gets the roost to his right every night. That's her in the first dustbath picture wiggling her way under a Langshan to bathe next to him. By day, they aren't always together. The birds all tend to pair off in rotating buddy groups. But Stilton keeps an eye on Ashley. The other morning, a hen pecked her on the head over a bug they found. Stilton stopped what he was doing to trot over and peck that hen on the head--no treading or arguing, just a quick peck in retribution for bothering Ashley. It was funny to see.

IMG_5960.jpg

IMG_5953.jpg

Last edited:
Warning all : this post has nothing to do with chickens, please bear with me and I will pay tax at the end.
Even though I don't have any COVID to cure I had to have more than a few strong drinks yesterday evening. ("génépi" made from a plant we harvest high in the Alps mountains).

This was due to the fact that yesterday we began demolishing the roof of the two older houses on the property, some of you may remember when I explained we had to secure them as they risked falling down. We hired someone to do the job of rebuilding the wall and the rooves but we're helping with demolition (and also have had to bring all the materials in, as the last 300 meters can not be accessed by car.)

I feel so sad that they will never look like this anymore, but we had no choice, either to put them down or repair with modern materials. The lower house just below is the one we live in, so we couldn't risk them tumbling down.

View attachment 3081364

View attachment 3081365

View attachment 3081362

View attachment 3081363

A little tax that cheered me up this morning : the bantam couple dustbathing with the Ex-batts. Their relationships are evolving slowly toward more peaceful interactions 🤞.
View attachment 3081366
That's a stunning location! It also explains your issues with hawks, and water supplies. I'd find carrying everything the last 300m hard, so I'm not surprised any building work is put off until it can't be put off anymore.

Back
Top Bottom