Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

You have relatives you didn't know about until you had a Facebook account?:eek::th
If that isn't a good reason for avoiding it I don't know what is. I have enough trouble with the relatives I already know about.
I avoided my oldest sister for ten years until my father got cancer. She was a class act, I want use a Scottish slang word to describe her, it starts with a c but I won't use it 😆🤣

I avoided my oldest sister for ten years until my father got cancer. She was a class act, I want use a Scottish slang word to describe her, it starts with a c but I won't use it 😆🤣
Tax for useless sister rant
20220522_150740.jpg

I've been told it needs to be hardwood ash. I have no idea what the difference is between one ash and another.
I use hardwood ash. The chickens like it but I am unsure of the effects. We don't have many fleas or such because we keep the yard cut very short. My wife sets the mower deck down low enough to classify as tilling 🤣

I would like to feed a mash to the allotment chickens. While I could do it in the evenings I can't see C managing to do it in the mornings.
What would be the problem ? Having to clean the feeder everyday after eating?
The frame for the new coop is built. It doesn't look much but it will keep the coop off the ground. I'm doing the ramp tomorrow. Only one volunteer out of all the allotment holders to help move the coop into the run so far. Community allotments! Make I larf.:rolleyes:
Better larf than cry 🙄 but what can you expect from people not even able to buy a proper wheelbarrow ?
That said too many wouldn't be any use, but just one or two more certainly would.
Left wing, people hating radicals I think who don't eat supermarket food.:D
Sounds a bit like me, if you add a touch of Greta Thunberg gone stale /quiet with age🤣. Good things my few friends are more fun than I !

Last edited:
I've began looking at food for the coming chicks, and I have a headache.

So, for the first ten days we have starter first age. However unlike the recommendation I see here it's around 12 % protein. I'll do with that and I expect my partner will add the mixture of boiled egg and bread the first days.
( BTW I think one of the main problem, beside salt, with today's bread is the leavening agent, most of the time baking yeast instead of sourdough. I'll make sure we get sourdough bread).

Then, I find an other type of food called either second age, or pullets/cockerels. Now depending on the brand it ranges from 12 % to 21% ( that last one is professional range). That's a huge gap and most of the brands that are easy to find are rather on the low spectrum.

I would like and will have to integrate the little ones as soon as possible with the actual flock, hopefully between two and three weeks. That is, if we don't have too much aggression seen how they all absolutely hate broody Chipie. So this means the same food for everyone. Now I understand layer food with 3 to 4 percent calcium would be harmful for growing pullets and cockerels. Should I put everyone on this second age feed thing and try to find one with higher protein content ? Or go with "all flock", that in my country has about 14 % protein ? Or do a mix of layer and all flock ?
I'm sure anyone who read up to this point also has a headache by now 😁.

I've began looking at food for the coming chicks, and I have a headache.

So, for the first ten days we have starter first age. However unlike the recommendation I see here it's around 12 % protein. I'll do with that and I expect my partner will add the mixture of boiled egg and bread the first days.
( BTW I think one of the main problem, beside salt, with today's bread is the leavening agent, most of the time baking yeast instead of sourdough. I'll make sure we get sourdough bread).

Then, I find an other type of food called either second age, or pullets/cockerels. Now depending on the brand it ranges from 12 % to 21% ( that last one is professional range). That's a huge gap and most of the brands that are easy to find are rather on the low spectrum.

I would like and will have to integrate the little ones as soon as possible with the actual flock, hopefully between two and three weeks. That is, if we don't have too much aggression seen how they all absolutely hate broody Chipie. So this means the same food for everyone. Now I understand layer food with 3 to 4 percent calcium would be harmful for growing pullets and cockerels. Should I put everyone on this second age feed thing and try to find one with higher protein content ? Or go with "all flock", that in my country has about 14 % protein ? Or do a mix of layer and all flock ?
I'm sure anyone who read up to this point also has a headache by now 😁.
I am by no means an expert but I go with the high protein feed for them all. I sometimes mix the grower and the all flock. But that is just because of availability. I have moved over to an insect protein feed (no soy) and that is I think 18 or maybe 20% protein. It is proving massively popular.
The big chickens love the very high protein feed and of course they all grab whatever they want when they forage in the field.

Back
Top Bottom