Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

There are 3 cats at my place (they are not my cats personally) plus some from the neighbors. They are all absolutely and completely terrified of broody hens. I've watched each of the cats being whomped by the hens. They only take a beating once and then stay well away. I was worried by my sister-in-law's cat as this one actually can catch mice and birds, but she is fully terrified of the hens too when they have chicks.
If you have a tough broody mama I wouldn't think cats are going to be your problem.
I have 2 male cats ~ Ragdoll Xs so quite large. Both give all the chickens a wide berth. My hunter was disciplined by a BR pullet early on. She stretched her neck up & her wings out & I've never seen a hunting cat back down so fast! 🤣 The other cat is a sweetie but unfortunately for him I have 3 Vorwerks who will actively hunt the cats. I found Cat & my largest & most aggressive Vorwek having it out on the back patio. The Vorwerk was the aggressor & kept moving in pecking & beating @ the cat, who attempted to bat her away so he could slink to the door to be let in. She was having none of it. The cat was cowering in between swipes but allowed to continue I expect he would have attacked the hen in sheer self defence. 🙄 MyJaps are tiny but neither cat has ever attempted to harrass them. Once a cat has learned that chickens can be aggressive they give them a very, very wide berth.

that must be stressful for you :hugs
It's stressful for the cat who doesn't understand why I'm screaming all hell at him especially as he is a real coward!
View attachment 3162460
Here we are: Amadeo left, Ida in the lead, Eve centre, and Dyffryn right. I think you can see Amadeo's reddening comb even at this distance!
Yes, definitely, and that means at least one of mine is also a male 😟. I'm also envious of their peaceful childhood ♥️.
I have 2 male cats ~ Ragdoll Xs so quite large. Both give all the chickens a wide berth. My hunter was disciplined by a BR pullet early on. She stretched her neck up & her wings out & I've never seen a hunting cat back down so fast! 🤣 The other cat is a sweetie but unfortunately for him I have 3 Vorwerks who will actively hunt the cats. I found Cat & my largest & most aggressive Vorwek having it out on the back patio. The Vorwerk was the aggressor & kept moving in pecking & beating @ the cat, who attempted to bat her away so he could slink to the door to be let in. She was having none of it. The cat was cowering in between swipes but allowed to continue I expect he would have attacked the hen in sheer self defence. 🙄 MyJaps are tiny but neither cat has ever attempted to harrass them. Once a cat has learned that chickens can be aggressive they give them a very, very wide berth.
Curiously our male cat was always terrified of the hens whereas the female loves them to the point she wanted to be a hen when she was very young. Well it's the male cat mostly that's intent on chasing the chicks. I think Chipie doesn't understand to what point he's a real threat as he's always been around and didn't do anything to them the first ten days. And the chicks wander on their own and are not really afraid either. Clearly they are more afraid of the other chickens!

I sometimes wonder if those "OMG the other hens are attacking the chicks" posts are keepers seeing the discipline peck you've written about. I've seen mums give such peacks often but with the roosters it's been when food is involved. Once mum stops fending for them they're last in the line as far as the rest of the chickens are concerend it seems.
I'll try to film the next attack because it's definitely not that here. It's only two of the hens, Blanche and Nougat, but what they do is attack the broody to get her away, then they attack the chicks.

Sunny spells, as they say.
The not so sunny bit is I have one broody and five fence hoppers. This means I've got to count them every so often and find out where the escapee/s are.
The Ex Battery hens are never going to look much better than scruffy in their current environment I've come to realise. Their feathers, as Manue mentions, seem to be particularly fragile. The next problem is they will insist on crouching for Henry.:barnieI tell them to run.:D
Matilda, Fret and the Legbars can all tell Henry "not just now sweetheart." Okay, there is some violence involved on those bad hair days, but Henry is pretty good. He'll take no for an answer like a gentleman and go and find one that will say yes.:lol:
The Ex Battery hens are curious about everything and it shows in their faces. They were the first to lay eggs in the new coop egg boxes. I really like the look of them.View attachment 3163260View attachment 3163261View attachment 3163262View attachment 3163263View attachment 3163264View attachment 3163265
I've also found mine to be very curious and social and I would even say they've got a sense of humor. They love it when my partner jokes around with them. The bantams have very different personalities but maybe it's how they were raised.
I think getting a thank you from C. goes a long way! Have you spoken of your intentions for the run ?
Hard to break a bad habit
Yes. Much like people who eat their fingernails I guess.

All 3 of Skeksis's children
20220625_184218.jpg

I've also found mine to be very curious and social and I would even say they've got a sense of humor. They love it when my partner jokes around with them. The bantams have very different personalities but maybe it's how they were raised.
I think getting a thank you from C. goes a long way! Have you spoken of your intentions for the run ?

Yes. Much like people who eat their fingernails I guess.
I have spoken to C about my intentions for the run. I think we are at the stage where I can do what I want, but I can't expect any help, at least not at the moment.
My ideal arrangemet is probably not realistic, but neither is the smallholding ideal C is taken with.

Some varieties turn reddish but most do not. I love gooseberries but there is a law that prohibits plant sellers to ship them to New Jersey. Same with black currants.
I didn't realize that gooseberries and currants are related. Both can carry white pine blister rust which kills white pines. They were made illegal a hundred years ago to protect the white pines but are now again legal in many states including Vermont. They are also legal in New Jersey, just go to a nursery that sells them.

The Ex Battery hens are never going to look much better than scruffy in their current environment I've come to realise.
Have they gone through a moult on your watch?

C told me I had done a wondeful job with the coop.:th
I even got paid.
I'm glad she has shown some appreciation for your efforts.

Back
Top Bottom