Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Sounds like you had a lovely day! Really good idea to share a stand with your eldest daughter. What does she make ? Is it a big craft fair ?

Is it Treacle the rooster ? Théo's colour are very similar.
She makes cards mainly.
It's not big but it's in an area of Bristol that is well known for independant retail. It's one of Bristol's bohemian areas where people shop for the unusual.

The two fighting are Cillin and Treacle. The last picture is Punch.

And maybe even before that: I have seen several times now that when Paprika's chicks issue a distress call (beyond the 'agh, you're standing on my toe mum!'), Phoenix appears and comes to see what's occurring. If he sees me and thinks I'm the cause (which usually I am), off he goes again. It seems to me he's assumed responsibility for the chicks already.
I think part of the drive to take on this responsibility is the chance to establish their own tribe from the new females.

I have a c.1m long 10cm diameter mulberry log if you're interested; very hard, very heavy, and very yellow. I've kept it because it's too good to burn, but I know I don't have the skills or the tools it's going to need to make it into something beautiful.
Thanks, but unfortunately 10cm diameter isn't large enough to work with for the type of stuff I do.

After, or while?
Have you read my article on Understanding your rooster?
When he put her down.
And yes, I have, several times in fact 🙂.

Théo arrived almost two years after we got the six-ex batts and the habits we always had with them are the source of the problem.
The first 5 months he was here, Chipie was his hen as they arrived together and we had to protect them from the other's bullying, so we didn't see this.

There are several things that I can change in my behaviour to take his role into account, like not going to see the hens when they are making laying drama, or try to give food in a way that they won't run away from him to me. However, some things won't change. My partner will not stop cuddling Vanille, and she jumps on him every chance she gets. I won't let him mate a hen when she's really unwell and unable to move.

Another factor is that he is not successful in mating the hens. Even with the two that will always crouch for him he doesn't have the balance right. And four try to run most of the times he tries to mate. This must be extremely frustrating.

Finally we have never been able to touch him. When he was a cockerel I spent a lot of time trying to hand feed Chipie and him and I was never successful. We have only picked him up once or twice because of emergencies and he freezes completely. Seeing a hand come near him has always made him jump around.

When he put her down.
And yes, I have, several times in fact 🙂.

Théo arrived almost two years after we got the six-ex batts and the habits we always had with them are the source of the problem.
The first 5 months he was here, Chipie was his hen as they arrived together and we had to protect them from the other's bullying, so we didn't see this.

There are several things that I can change in my behaviour to take his role into account, like not going to see the hens when they are making laying drama, or try to give food in a way that they won't run away from him to me. However, some things won't change. My partner will not stop cuddling Vanille, and she jumps on him every chance she gets. I won't let him mate a hen when she's really unwell and unable to move.

Another factor is that he is not successful in mating the hens. Even with the two that will always crouch for him he doesn't have the balance right. And four try to run most of the times he tries to mate. This must be extremely frustrating.

Finally we have never been able to touch him. When he was a cockerel I spent a lot of time trying to hand feed Chipie and him and I was never successful. We have only picked him up once or twice because of emergencies and he freezes completely. Seeing a hand come near him has always made him jump around.
Looks like stewpot for your partner then.:p
Well, if you've read the article then you know what the problems are.
I don't do educating partners.:D

The vast majority of the rooster problems I read on this forum boil down to a very few basics which people do not want to accept. It's not that they can't find a solution, it's that they don't want to.

1) Chickens may domesticated but rarely are they tame.
2) leave them alone to sort their own problems out.
3) wear clothing suitable for the job.
4) house different breeds and different intake seperately.

Looks like stewpot for your partner then.:p
Well, if you've read the article then you know what the problems are.
I don't do educating partners.:D

The vast majority of the rooster problems I read on this forum boil down to a very few basics which people do not want to accept. It's not that they can't find a solution, it's that they don't want to.

1) Chickens may domesticated but rarely are they tame.
2) leave them alone to sort their own problems out.
3) wear clothing suitable for the job.
4) house different breeds and different intake seperately.
Educating the partner is probably the most difficult part. It's him i'd like to make stew out of but then I'd get thrown out of here as it's his father's place😁.
We've got 3 already, so we can work on 1 and 2 and resort to 4 if necessary.

1656907046892.png

Back
Top Bottom