Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Good afternoon.

I have a question about my Ini mini who has a long pointy beak growing older.
7F707B1E-3982-49F8-98FF-159D2FF74065.jpeg

Is there something I should do? Or is she okay with it? She eats normal as far as I can see.
I searched quickly but all kind of non relevant info popped up.

Ps2 the pointy part at the end is hard to see bc its almost transparant.

PS the dirty windowsill was cleaned last week. But songbirds who are eating from the grapes above make a lot of droppings. 😂. And the chickens contribute too.
16C94C63-1735-447D-810A-779ECC79503E.jpeg

Edited: the grape vine

Last edited:
I'm sure you meant to write avoided paying tax.:p
I was prepared to claim low contribution levels as valid justification for tax evasion, but instead of squandering my time with watered-down excuses, I dutifully prepared some taxes instead.

These are actually members of the neighbor's flock, hanging out in the backyard shade:
20220924_134401.jpg

And conversely, catching some suntime on the back porch:
20220924_132550.jpg
20220924_132611.jpg

But a few hours later she walked near the backdoor and she was happy to go inside.
I'd bet on a nest out there somewhere, you'll have to spend time waiting for her to head out to it so you can find it later.

Calcium plays almost no role in Feather creation. Methionine is the key amino for feathers, and generally "more" of everything from a protein standpoint 18-20% overall will help accelerate the molt, but higher Met content in that protein will help make the most of what's availabale.
Very informative, thank you. Is methionine available as a supplement?

Next Wednesday could be fun.
Someone I am acquainted with on a different social media platform is a power company line worker. His crew is going to central Florida today to wait. They will head to any outages if/when the occur.

Tax and why I’m interested in the methionine. Won’t be any 70g eggs from Arcadia any time soon

Attachments

• 5EE3823C-AE2B-4FB7-872F-603B236FB355.jpeg
    5EE3823C-AE2B-4FB7-872F-603B236FB355.jpeg
    772.2 KB · Views: 1
Animal preotein sources among the best places to get extra Methionine. Then soy meal. a few seeds (but watch the fat content). Unlike L-lysine, Methionine isn't available over the counter in your store pharmacy aisle. Closest you can get is SAM-e. Which is **real close**. But I can't find any research indicating whether SAM-e can be subbed for dl-methionine in chicken feeds, and at what rate of exchange.

So stick with what we know - animal and insect protiens good.

Last edited:
I found an article about another 8 year old chicken with a long beak. 😆 reading it now.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/beak-and-claw-trimming.74570/
The important thing is do not clip her beak. There are lots of reasons but I promise you this is good advice. I know others say you can and it is true, you can. But one shouldn't even if one can.
Use a file. Do a bit every couple of days. File of up to 0.5mm each time; no more.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0168159111003285

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1166494/

Apart from the above because of the chicken beak profile it is impossible to make a clipper that supports the beak profile around the inside of the beak. When you press the baldes of the clippers together the beak is deformed and this often causes tiny fractures up the beak. This weaken the beak and can cause the beak to split. The sense can be seen if you had a deformed nail on a foot or hand and tried to use scissor action clippers.

I was prepared to claim low contribution levels as valid justification for tax evasion, but instead of squandering my time with watered-down excuses, I dutifully prepared some taxes instead.

These are actually members of the neighbor's flock, hanging out in the backyard shade:
View attachment 3270356

And conversely, catching some suntime on the back porch:
View attachment 3270353
View attachment 3270354
Yep, happy to accept your neighbours flock as tax. A chickens a chicken when all's said and done.

I had an ancient hen who's upper beak kept growing wild. I'd take toenail clippers out and just trim it to the right shape so she could eat easier.

I'm also a lurker...lol. Love the idea of taxes so here's mine.
View attachment 3270404View attachment 3270406View attachment 3270407
I appreciate the prompt payment of course, but are that lot in the last picture chickens?
I'll have to check the regulations, but I think there may be a foreign currency transaction cost involved in this.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom