Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

On the topic of feed, some might be interested in an update on my experiment. All chicks hatched this year (4 June, 3 birds; 1 July, 7 birds; 11 August, 2 birds) are alive and well and are apparently none the worse for having eaten no commercially produced chick feed, grower feed or any other homogenized feed.

If you don't mind me asking, are you back on the pellets after a spell of mixed grains, or are these sourced from others?
The mixed grains are what C buys for the geese. I occasionaly give a handful to the chickens.
All the feeds from Marriages are bought by me for the chickens. I'm trying out the most recent 17.5% protein pellets in anticipation of further moulting.
A couple of the others I've posted are from a couple of chicken keeping friends.
C buys whatever whenever; something I am trying to discourage.

On the topic of feed, some might be interested in an update on my experiment. All chicks hatched this year (4 June, 3 birds; 1 July, 7 birds; 11 August, 2 birds) are alive and well and are apparently none the worse for having eaten no commercially produced chick feed, grower feed or any other homogenized feed.
That is great information. Were you feeding them milk+wheat bran as part of the chick feed? (sorry if I have mixed it up with a different person.)

I do not at all care for how this pole is leaning towards the chicken coop.
received_860530304885914.jpeg

I do not at all care for how this pole is leaning towards the chicken coop.
View attachment 3274245
Is it the power company pole or a private pole?
One halfway down my driveway rotted/snapped off at the base. I had to find a contractor to replace. Cost over 2k.

That is great information. Were you feeding them milk+wheat bran as part of the chick feed? (sorry if I have mixed it up with a different person.)
I think that must have been someone else as I used very little bran; as chick feed and with them on grass from day 2, I gave several times a day and in small quantities some of the following: milk-soaked bread (or fermented-feed-liquor-soaked bread), chopped boiled egg, wheat flakes, oats (not whole), cornmeal, ground dry cat food (or smashed sardines or peanut butter), a little veg oil, natural yogurt, currants, and live mealworms. For most of the day every day their broodies led them to forage for assorted flora and fauna in the garden.

Good morning X-Batts.. We had drizzle this morning.
So this is the feed I pick up this company has been doing the same since the 30's.
Be nice if r\they did 40 lb bags. They do get black sunflower maybe once a week a handful.

002.jpg

Good morning X-Batts.. We had drizzle this morning.
So this is the feed I pick up this company has been doing the same since the 30's.
Be nice if r\they did 40 lb bags. They do get black sunflower maybe once a week a handful.

View attachment 3274270
Thanks Penny, but 'grain products', 'forage products' etc. is too vague to be useful - could be any one of a large number of different grains, never mind the endless scope for things foraged.

I think that must have been someone else as I used very little bran; as chick feed and with them on grass from day 2, I gave several times a day and in small quantities some of the following: milk-soaked bread (or fermented-feed-liquor-soaked bread), chopped boiled egg, wheat flakes, oats (not whole), cornmeal, ground dry cat food (or smashed sardines or peanut butter), a little veg oil, natural yogurt, currants, and live mealworms. For most of the day every day their broodies led them to forage for assorted flora and fauna in the garden.
Thank you. I realized that it was you but I got the food mixed up (after a search). You were using milk + wheat flakes or oats, not wheat bran.

This is great information that I am going to bookmark. I love that you were reading old books for chicken keeping.

Back
Top Bottom