Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Spurs look fine.
@Shadrach

The following pictures are of one of my Rhode Island Reds.

She has almost all of her feathers back except her tail feathers.

She has some spurs on her legs.

This picture is of the spurs:
View attachment 3274443View attachment 3274446

This is feathers on head and neck.
View attachment 3274464

View attachment 3274470

This is where the tail feathers should be:
Looks like they are coming in:
View attachment 3274471
This picture might be better for the tail feathers:
View attachment 3274477

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
She looks in a lot better shape than the allotment crew. I've never looked after the breed so know nothing about them. She's got very roosterish looking hackle feathers in the second picture.
I can't see a problem even with a poopy arse.

Just missed the worst of the rain. 10C, damp and with a glimps of the sun from time to time.
C isn't feeding them properly in the morning.:rant They are unusually hungry by the time I get there. They got through 1.5 kilo of feed this evening.
P9280315.JPG
P9280317.JPG
P9280314.JPG
P9280320.JPG
P9280319.JPG

I think that must have been someone else as I used very little bran; as chick feed and with them on grass from day 2, I gave several times a day and in small quantities some of the following: milk-soaked bread (or fermented-feed-liquor-soaked bread), chopped boiled egg, wheat flakes, oats (not whole), cornmeal, ground dry cat food (or smashed sardines or peanut butter), a little veg oil, natural yogurt, currants, and live mealworms. For most of the day every day their broodies led them to forage for assorted flora and fauna in the garden.

It varies a lot, largely depending on the weather. If it is fine, the broody typically has them off somewhere foraging in ever increasing circles, and they'd be around the back door (broody would bring them as she thought required) only once or twice between breakfast and dinner. If it is raining, they're near the back door almost all day and might eat 8 or 9 times. And everything in between, depending on the weather.

I don't measure portions in the traditional sense (and I imagine it would change almost daily with growing chicks, at least in the first 6 weeks). I put out as much as I think that many chicks at that age will eat; 15 mins later I look in, and if they've had enough, they've moved on, and I bring in the bowls and wash them up; if they haven't had enough, the bowls are empty and they're still there, so I give a little more.
That is very inspiring! I suppose it has to be a global attempt, because I think chicks raised on real food would find it pretty hard having to switch to industrial feed when grown up.
I wasn't daring enough to try to give real food to my first hatch but it's a fact that since they spent their first three months foraging all day in the vegetable garden to which our ex-batts do not have access, their diet has been quite different. (Funny thing is that their poop is completely different too, even now that they eat more of the industrial food : they have dark green elongated poop compared to the ex-batts round brown 😁.)

I would love to see pictures of Paprika's and Maria's clutch's now they are growing up!

Thanks. I'm getting there slowly. I think it should be called a coop extension rather than a run as I have decribed it earlier.
Is this a change of name in regard to those long term chicken real-estates plans of yours ? Or because you don't like the coop and run model?
Just missed the worst of the rain. 10C, damp and with a glimps of the sun from time to time.
C isn't feeding them properly in the morning.:rant They are unusually hungry by the time I get there. They got through 1.5 kilo of feed this evening.
View attachment 3274553View attachment 3274554View attachment 3274555View attachment 3274556View attachment 3274557
Yes very annoying that they don't get enough feed when it's getting colder.
No possibility of leaving some in a feeder over night without the rats getting at it ?

We had a rainy day some days ago and I attended to the chickens in my rain poncho. I thought it was great but it took some time.for the chickens and especially the rooster to understand I wasn't some kind of monster . The only negative point is, much like the beekeeping suit, it doesn't have pockets and it's very complicated to reach for pockets underneath.

I would love to see pictures of Paprika's and Maria's clutch's now they are growing up!
This is Paprika's clutch taken at the beginning of the month (my device for transferring photos from camera to computer is bust; replacement due but till then I can't upload photos so they have to be already stored ones)
P1110858.JPG

3 have inherited Venka's snow leopard colouring :love and are obviously pure SFH, so Chirk or Sven was dad. 3 are brown/red, and while one of those wasn't Venka's, I think the other two, which are Venka's, must have a different non-SFH dad (Phoenix is the obvious candidate). The mainly black one is Maria's (+ Phoenix, I think), and is a cockerel. The other cockerel is bottom left, and I think he is pure SFH.

This is Maria's two (best recent photo I can find; you can see one well at least!)
P1110931.JPG

The one in front is Gigi's + Chirk, the one behind is Maria's + ?. They're in the ungainly teenage phase.

This is Paprika's clutch taken at the beginning of the month (my device for transferring photos from camera to computer is bust; replacement due but till then I can't upload photos so they have to be already stored ones) View attachment 3275004
3 have inherited Venka's snow leopard colouring :love and are obviously pure SFH, so Chirk or Sven was dad. 3 are brown/red, and while one of those wasn't Venka's, I think the other two, which are Venka's, must have a different non-SFH dad (Phoenix is the obvious candidate). The mainly black one is Maria's (+ Phoenix, I think), and is a cockerel. The other cockerel is bottom left, and I think he is pure SFH.

This is Maria's two (best recent photo I can find; you can see one well at least!)View attachment 3275005
The one in front is Gigi's + Chirk, the one behind is Maria's + ?. They're in the ungainly teenage phase.
They are gorgeous, especially the snow leopards !
Does this mean the same hen can be mated by different roosters ?

@no fly zone please let us know how you are doing when you can !

Back
Top Bottom