Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I use scaffolding netting when I need to fence off an area. It works on the opposite principle to hardware cloth. It is soft and you set it up loose so that it flaps in the slightest wind, and in particular the top edge is not taut so is clearly not capable of supporting any weight. Animals avoid it because they fear being trapped in it. Has worked for us for years. It's also cheap and very easy to move.
Interesting option, I believe you may have mentioned it before! But I wouldn't try it here because of the weather. We have very windy afternoon almost half the year, and my partner goes crazy with things flapping around. And I would be scared it would get used and fragile too quickly with the snow / sun.
I used all kind of Hwc, the thin ones you described with 10mm mase/mesh size (is that correct for the size of the holes) and also the thicker hwc 20 mm mase. And also small chicken wire (25 mm mase). Never had foxes or any other predators go through it. Not even rats.
For a small surface I prefer the thin hwc because its easier to fasten it to the frame. For a larger surface I would prefer the small sized chicken wire because its cheaper , easy to cut and less wobbly.

The strong netting I used is okay on top against hawks but I would not recommend it for the sides. Or only above chewing height (about 1,20 meter?) if there is nothing to climb on. Rats and foxes bite through it. Best netting I used is 30 mm mase cat netting with a thin iron wire inside. This cat net is strong and easy to tighten.
We rarely use the run to lock the chickens for more than an hour or two, maybe once or twice a month. But we would also like to be able to leave overnight maybe three or four times a year, leaving the coop open with an access to the run through the night . I don't want anything less secure to the addition than what we have now, which works though unorthodox : sheep type cloth doubled with chain link fence , with chicken wire on the lower part and something like an apron (we can't dig, so we had to put material over it but this time we'll be pouring cement).
IMG_20221001_112154.jpg

This little one has slept out the last two nights; she gets deep into the beech hedge, and though I see her go in, and have tried to find her (from both sides and with a torch), she has eluded me. The hedge branches are very contorted and dense above the bottom 2 feet, and I think she must be squeezing into a gap somewhere. She obviously prefers that to jostling for space with the grown-ups on the roosts, and she seems to be quite a determined tree hugger. If I can't stop it, I'll just have to hope that her colouring (willow skin, as well as brown feathers) will be even better camouflage when the beech leaves turn brown. View attachment 3277130
I find it surprising, not so much that she chooses to stay outside, but that she will go there in her own !
Is she being bullied by the adults?

I have a bully problem at roosting time but luckily my youngers have the opposite attitude, they go too bed really early to try to avoid her. It's what Chipie taught them and what she still does!

Last edited:
This little one has slept out the last two nights; she gets deep into the beech hedge, and though I see her go in, and have tried to find her (from both sides and with a torch), she has eluded me. The hedge branches are very contorted and dense above the bottom 2 feet, and I think she must be squeezing into a gap somewhere. She obviously prefers that to jostling for space with the grown-ups on the roosts, and she seems to be quite a determined tree hugger. If I can't stop it, I'll just have to hope that her colouring (willow skin, as well as brown feathers) will be even better camouflage when the beech leaves turn brown. View attachment 3277130
yesterday I was just in time to seduce Ini mini, Janice and Kraai to come out of the pear tree.
If the sun is still up /still shining Ini mini jumps on the run (easy to take her off) . But Janice and Kraai tend to jump in the pear tree. And Kraai goes higher if I come near her. No way I can get her out after that.
I usually give my flappy dinosaurs 🦕 some treats to lurk then inside the run.
C20F1F0D-4223-4D7F-86FE-B7D0370A7E18.jpeg

Janice in the tree.

Today I gave the coop and covered run with sand ‘floor’ a good clean. Added new sand with a little DE in the ‘bathtub’ the chickens created themselves. + added some of the mixed sand on top of the old sand. The chickens immediately started to take a sand bath in and near the ‘tub’ (no more than a sand hole).
Unfortunately my phone was in my own bathroom.

We bought polycarbonate sheets to cover the run when we remake it (soon I hope 🙄) and it seems so light and flimsy that I wonder if green house tarp wouldn't have been better. It was a bit less than 200 euros for ten meter square (105 SQ feet).
It is pretty strong (AND EXPENSIVE) but you have to be CAREFUL when you cut it, it is prone to cracking. I've done it with a jigsaw, tape the line both sides and make sure the sheet won't be lifting, hold it down to a table right along where you are cutting and have someone holding the loose edge. All that vibrating will cause it to crack.

I've also cut it with an angle grinder which doesn't cause the vibration. Either method tends to heat the sheet such that it melts a bit as you cut. I've had the back side of the cut fuse back together requiring a bit of recutting.

I'm trying to find the kind of mesh you are using and that's recommended on BYC, thick with very small holes. All I'm finding here seems very thin to me, usually 0.6 mm. Would it make sense to double this with the classical bigger hole sheep weldmesh we're using ? Otherwise I would have to order something thicker on Amazon but I'm afraid it will take a long time to get here.
From what I can find the 1/2" hardware cloth is 19 gauge which Google says is 1mm.

Is she being bullied by the adults?
yes, along with all the other teens. I drove the bully out of their coop and then stood guard at the hedge, so they're all in tonight :bow - and as I shut them all up, heard squabbling between the adults in another coop; I think they learn to be bullies by being bullied, sadly, and then inflict what they've suffered on any birds beneath them.

Back
Top Bottom