Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I'm hoping to avoid using shock cord. I'm going for a solid fix. Tarp wrapped at ends around a plank of wood and screwed to the frame.

what exactly are the ventilation problems?

Good question, I was wandering the same and I am curious how the tarp can solve this. @Shadrach ?
The coop pop door is likely to be always open. The coop, for the forseeable future will be aligned back North, front South. I don't have much choice in this for the forseeable future.
The wind usually blows up the Avon gorge from the West and South West. From now until spring the wind is pretty constant with possible gusts of 30mph +.
As the coop is now there is constant wind blowing into the pop door and upper vent. The chickens have worked this out of course and looking into the back of the coop most roost on the RHS of the coop. The RHS has most shelter from the wind blowing through the pop door. Good ventilation relies on the warm damp air rising and escaping through the high vents on the sides of the coop.
With a constant stream of air entering the coop low down through the pop door under wind pressure the rising air becomes turbulant. With the tarpaulin in place covering the West side to the floor and the East side with a 40cm gap between the tarpaulin my hope is the pop door wont get the SW wind hitting it directly and what does blow in through the front of the run will take the path of least resistance which will be the gap on the East side.
I hope some the thinking will become clear when I finish the coop article.
The chickens will let me know if I've got it right.

Makes sense. I hope it will work too. :fl

I had a slightly similar problem with the Northwest wind.
The run with the roof is (was) open at the West side. The pop door to the small coop is located north.
Now a large window blocks the wind and give shelter against the rain in stormy weather.
But nowadays the ventilation is no issue anymore. All the chickens prefer the larger extended coop (or top of the run or the pear tree). The window is still a good rain protection for the open pop door entrance and the chicken ladder.
1F61591E-14B3-4BAE-8557-0180EBE4E478.jpeg

5D78C511-E933-4E18-BDD3-E092C588ADE4.jpeg

A31DB1F4-F844-49B1-B715-4959331CD0AD.jpeg

Shad - are you an active member of the National Allotments Society?
No.:lol:
I know people love their allotments and get great satisfaction from getting things to grow. It takes many years of very keen allotment keeping before there is even a remote chance of paying less for whatever one can grow than buying the equivelant at a shop. Yes it can be fun but as a means of providing food they are an economical disaster, much like keeping chickens.:D

Back
Top Bottom