Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Waiting for stuff again. Postal sevice is on strike.
Family dinner out last night. My stomach still isn't right. Probably the worst eat out dinner I've ever had.
More rain this morning but by the time I got to the allotments the rain had gone and the sun shone a bit.
Chickens were just pleased to be out of the run and mud. They didn't even wait to see what food I had and rushed to the end of the allotment run to get on with some serious digging.
PA020336.JPG
PA020339.JPG
PA020338.JPG
PA020340.JPG

No.:lol:
I know people love their allotments and get great satisfaction from getting things to grow. It takes many years of very keen allotment keeping before there is even a remote chance of paying less for whatever one can grow than buying the equivelant at a shop. Yes it can be fun but as a means of providing food they are an economical disaster, much like keeping chickens.:D
I know people love their allotments and get great satisfaction from getting things to grow. It takes many years of very keen allotment keeping before there is even a remote chance of paying less for whatever one can grow than buying the equivelant at a shop. Yes it can be fun but as a means of providing food they are an economical disaster, much like keeping chickens.:D
I believe that is covered in the book, though without reference to chickens.

That's true, but there's much more to life than economics:p I think for some allotment keepers, as well as being a diverting hobby, it's not about growing food as cheaply as possible, but about growing varieties that are not available in the shops, or about avoiding herbicides etc, as a lot of backyard chicken-keepers want heritage breeds not production breeds. The different costs and benefits vary as they do when we choose size and brand of car, house, holidays etc, and fortunately, we like and are prepared to pay for different things!

That's true, but there's much more to life than economics:p I think for some allotment keepers, as well as being a diverting hobby, it's not about growing food as cheaply as possible, but about growing varieties that are not available in the shops, or about avoiding herbicides etc, as a lot of backyard chicken-keepers want heritage breeds not production breeds. The different costs and benefits vary as they do when we choose size and brand of car, house, holidays etc, and fortunately, we like and are prepared to pay for different things!
Well said.
Shad is all about the cash it seems!
:lau

Shad is more about having recently looked at the price of organic heritage seeds.:eek::lol:
I don’t know about UK but I suspect also in UK there are non-profit seed swap organizations.
They ask you donate something either money or seeds or both.
It is a long time since I used one to get seeds so I am hoping they still exist.

I don’t know about UK but I suspect also in UK there are non-profit seed swap organizations.
They ask you donate something either money or seeds or both.
It is a long time since I used one to get seeds so I am hoping they still exist.
Next one in Bristol is February in time for spring sowing.
https://www.bristolseedswap.com/

I am so happy these still happen!

Back
Top Bottom