Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Woodchip coming next week. It's coming in 70 litre bags which while costing a bit more makes shifting it around easier. I'm not optomistic anyone will be on hand when the delivery comes.

At the allotments a bit after 1pm today. Got a couple of barrow loads of the shite and paper out of the run and knocked up a couple of duckboards from old pallets. May have a couple of concrete slabs coming which can go just outside the coop run gate which gets pretty dire after a heavy rain.

View attachment 3337464View attachment 3337465View attachment 3337466View attachment 3337467
They are all looking really good these days 👍

I'll order some more wood chips myself tomorrow ;)

it's not an easy read for quite a few reasons, and kudos to you for wading through it in a second language!

But I'm surprised you didn't know of the 5 freedoms already; I thought that was common knowledge now. On the other hand, it not being common knowledge may explain the AI restrictions, which when imposed on backyard flocks usually create a conflict with several of those freedoms. If you ever get in an argument with someone about not applying headline AI measures (i.e. lock every bird up inside; the rules beyond the headline are quite nuanced), it's useful to be able to quote it and point out this is a legal requirement too; the rules are in conflict.
I was not aware of the 5 freedoms either. Good to know! Great tip on 5-freedom is conflicting with many AI lockdown measures.

Woodchip coming next week. It's coming in 70 litre bags which while costing a bit more makes shifting it around easier. I'm not optomistic anyone will be on hand when the delivery comes.

At the allotments a bit after 1pm today. Got a couple of barrow loads of the shite and paper out of the run and knocked up a couple of duckboards from old pallets. May have a couple of concrete slabs coming which can go just outside the coop run gate which gets pretty dire after a heavy rain.

View attachment 3337464View attachment 3337465View attachment 3337466

View attachment 3337467
Love that last photo, I wonder what they were looking at! I agree that they are looking pretty good.

Does C. still cleans the coop or are you the only one to do it ? If they do, did you get them to throw the litter elsewhere?

Concrete just outside could help and maybe you and C. won't take as much mud inside. When our run wasn't covered I used to throw a pile of hay in front of the coop door when it rained so I could wipe my feet before getting in (before we had the draught).

My partner was able to buy the betadine gel at the local drugstore, however, it was sold twelve euros for 30 g (1 ounce) so a very small tube that will last two applications I think. I will look if it's sold online in a bigger format.

Morning X Batts.. We use chips in the coop itself.. Rule of thumb here hay will mold if wet.
Chips compost fast. JMHO
20210915_192134.jpg

Back
Top Bottom