Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I

I think that you are less at risk if you use a thin layer that will compost eventually. Here it was used on top of a thick layer with deep litter (in a coop?).

Something else to keep in mind. The risk of bumble foot increases with large and sharp wood chips. I would check the chickens feet regularly/ often to avoid serious problems if the chips are sharp.

About 7 years ago I thought it would be a good solutions to add a lot of wood chips to the run bc the water stagnated and the soil wasn’t healthy anymore (smelly).
I did read about flocks with several cases of bumble foot. The owners (2 similar cases) thought it was probably triggered by the sharp chips. I decided to make another plan bc of this (+ the costs). Simple drainage , replacing some of the top soil and adding lots of brown leaves every autumn made the soil healthy again. We don’t need to replace any of the soil anymore because it has a good structure with organic materials and is full of live. No smell and contains a lot of rainworms.

This year is the first time we added our own homemade woodchips to the run. The chips are mainly from pruning fruitrees. So its soft. The machine made very small chips. Max 2 cm. I expect the chips to disappear quickly l.
The woodchip isn't the solution in the long term I know.
I've asked for some gravel, pea gravel if possible.
I had intended from the outset to put in a proper French Drain. Then I thought gravel in soil cloth. By the time I had finished thinking, winter showed up.:D

The things I've found to cause the most foot injuries were human constructions, thorns and rusted metal.

On a different topic, this is quite useful
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/poultry-health
you can do it for free, though you'll need to pay if you want to participate in discussions and get a certificate at the end.

The main website has a lot of other short MOOCs on all sorts of topics you can browse and take for free.
Really good idea linking the course up Perris.

I bought the single course option. Nottingham University have done some good stuff on chickens.

2C.:( and it felt like it. I've got a condensation problem in the coop. Inevitable with a plastic coop but it needs dealing with.

@Perris. Another one for your collection.
PC010796.JPG

Clear but looking a bit bleak.
PC020801.JPG

PC020798.JPG
PC020800.JPG
PC020797.JPG

Apologies for chipping in with frivolity, but my photo is being used in the caption contest! Tagging @RoyalChick because entering the photo was her suggestion :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...on-contest-12-02-22-pic-by-maryjanet.1556441/

Those two hens are refugees from the river flood. My aunty coerced me into taking them, but now I'm glad I did because they're wonderful little hens! So tame and inquisitive. They're still in quarantine in the laundry, but they can come out and start integrating on Wednesday.

Anyway, why not see if you can think up a funny caption in the contest?
Oh I am so glad. There are some good ones posted. Great photo. Still makes me laugh.

Back
Top Bottom