Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

no there aren't, and there are transcripts for all of them anyway, so you can read rather than listen if you prefer (though it is handy to see moving pictures for some things).

your age is showing :p: diversity has arrived there now, so it's not 1950s style (aka Oxford English) continuity announcers anymore. Some of them are a bit challenging for all of us, depending on which bits of the country/world we come from and our aural idiosyncrasies. I just can't understand what Geordies are saying, for example (they're people who grew up and/or live round Newcastle/Tyneside/the North East of England), though have no trouble with their neighbouring Yorkshire accents; it's quite weird. But having them all on the BBC - including a guy with a deep baritone Barbadian accent - is wonderful imo.
I love a good Geordie accent!

Last edited:
Tax for talk about talk :D Amadeo coming down. I'd not seen his shaggy side until this :lol:
DSC01687 (2).JPG

at first I thought you'd added a wall mounted TV for them in the corner of the room :lol: welcome to the chicken lounge :D
They wish! We are in negotiations on that front.
It is a flat panel heater - 200W - I will only use it when it gets outlandishly cold or if someone is sick (or as in Diana's case right now, half naked).
When it gets light here I need to go out and have a good look at her - she seems to be going a long time now without feathers - I did see a load coming through before I left last week, but it seems to be taking for forever.

They wish! We are in negotiations on that front.
It is a flat panel heater - 200W - I will only use it when it gets outlandishly cold or if someone is sick (or as in Diana's case right now, half naked).
When it gets light here I need to go out and have a good look at her - she seems to be going a long time now without feathers - I did see a load coming through before I left last week, but it seems to be taking for forever.
how is she now? there's huge variation in feathering rates here, and those who go slow do seem to struggle more than the fast moulters.
That looks like a perfect sort of heater for a coop - safe, and they can decide how close they want to get. I'm sure they'd appreciate a tv too of course :p

how is she now? there's huge variation in feathering rates here, and those who go slow do seem to struggle more than the fast moulters.
That looks like a perfect sort of heater for a coop - safe, and they can decide how close they want to get. I'm sure they'd appreciate a tv too of course :p
The perfect device would be dual purpose so they could watch movies and warm themselves!
I have been away all week so just worrying about her and watching on the coop cam. She seems to be quite sprightly - I even caught her flying from the high roost which is a bit daring at the best of times!
Here she is strutting her stuff and still shedding feathers.
6A2122AF-547B-42D7-B4DF-F1028D7BDEB3.jpeg

I suppose there is some variation in regional dialects in the US but I feel like the variation is more narrow. As a kid, I loved reading the Redwall books by Brian Jacques. His animal characters all had (what I realize now) various dialects from the British Isles. The moles were my favorite to read out loud. Pretty sure they were Cockney.
Tax - Einstein and an unnamed cockerel. The cockerel will be rehomed once we are sure on the genders of the other chicks she got. (Both are my sister’s chicks, but live at my house - integration is going well.) Saoirse and her two chicks. It would be easier (I think) to just sleep on the floor, but clearly the roosting bar and some precarious balancing is preferable.

Attachments

• 5C8B9329-7C8C-4233-B016-61A240233C3D.jpeg
    5C8B9329-7C8C-4233-B016-61A240233C3D.jpeg
    527.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 4F0D81F0-3616-4845-82AA-E6523CD08BB3.jpeg
    4F0D81F0-3616-4845-82AA-E6523CD08BB3.jpeg
    551.3 KB · Views: 2
Dyffryn laid her 1st egg today! :celebrate 50g not bad for a first one, and no drama laying it. The oldest of this year's pullets, and the colour confirms her sire was Phoenix, not Chirk or Sven, so she's definitely Penedesenca x Swedish Flower (as shank colour, no crest, and plumage already suggested). So his genes definitely live on :)
Dyffryn's 1st egg 50g.JPG

Back
Top Bottom