Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I suppose there is some variation in regional dialects in the US but I feel like the variation is more narrow. As a kid, I loved reading the Redwall books by Brian Jacques. His animal characters all had (what I realize now) various dialects from the British Isles. The moles were my favorite to read out loud. Pretty sure they were Cockney.
Tax - Einstein and an unnamed cockerel. The cockerel will be rehomed once we are sure on the genders of the other chicks she got. (Both are my sister’s chicks, but live at my house - integration is going well.) Saoirse and her two chicks. It would be easier (I think) to just sleep on the floor, but clearly the roosting bar and some precarious balancing is preferable.
is Einstein part Spitzhauben? She's very attractive in any case.

Dyffryn laid her 1st egg today! :celebrate 50g not bad for a first one, and no drama laying it. The oldest of this year's pullets, and the colour confirms her sire was Phoenix, not Chirk or Sven, so she's definitely Penedesenca x Swedish Flower (as shank colour, no crest, and plumage already suggested). So his genes definitely live on :)
View attachment 3339812
What a beautiful egg! Congratulations to Dyffryn! (Autocorrect does NOT like her name)
is Einstein part Spitzhauben? She's very attractive in any case.
Einstein is full Spitzhauben, and hopefully a pullet. Curie, the other Spitz my sister got, looks to be male, and the two Schjindelaar chicks she got were both male. Odds didn’t work in her favor, but she then found the two Wyandotte chicks, which were ordered by the chicken hoarder sexed by the hatchery. They both seem to be pullets so far, so we shall see.

Sky Dancer
20221128_112522.jpg

(Autocorrect does NOT like her name)
autocorrect doesn't like a lot of Welsh words :rolleyes:
English speakers struggle with the apparent lack of vowels, but y is a vowel in Welsh, and that'll get you a long way to pronouncing it :p.
Einstein is full Spitzhauben
I had no idea they come in that lovely colour combo; all the ones I've seen are black and white.

Glad you're enjoying it; but just to give you both a head's up - it gets harder! They don't take prisoners on the pests and diseases bit :D

(and some of the videos of surgical procedures are a bit too much for me :sick)
Sounds very interesting but I probably have to wait another year to start such a course. I do start another course in January. Has to do with writing for the internet. No chickens involved.

Just don’t have enough time to follow this one too. Thank you mentioning the downside of the course. It helps not to start it bc it’s I’m not enthusiastic to see surgical procedures either.

how is she now? there's huge variation in feathering rates here, and those who go slow do seem to struggle more than the fast moulters.
That looks like a perfect sort of heater for a coop - safe, and they can decide how close they want to get. I'm sure they'd appreciate a tv too of course :p
Or a washing machine.

autocorrect doesn't like a lot of Welsh words :rolleyes:
English speakers struggle with the apparent lack of vowels, but y is a vowel in Welsh, and that'll get you a long way to pronouncing it :p.

I had no idea they come in that lovely colour combo; all the ones I've seen are black and white.
The Welsh Y is pronounced as ‘ih’ or ‘eye’? Utah (and Idaho to an extent) has seen a trend over the past 10-15 years where it is very popular to replace the i’s with y’s and vice versa. Adding extra n’s is also a thing. Particularly with girls’ names, but you see it to an extent with boys’ names too. Alice becomes Alyce, Kaitlyn becomes Kaytlynn, Tammy becomes Tammi. So seeing y’s doesn’t bother me per se, I just was wondering if they’re interchangeable with i’s sounds like they are here.

There are three colors of Spitzhauben’s that I’m aware of, the silver spangled being the most common. There is also gold spangled and chamois. Einstein and Curie are both chamois, and I’m just barely starting to see the spangles and buff color coming in with this latest molt. Curie has been developing a much darker color so far. Greenfire Farms has some lovely pictures of all three colors on their website.

Linguistic and Spitz tax:
I had to go hunting for Einstein this morning because I wasn’t seeing her. She found an excellent hiding place - I walked past her a couple of times before finally seeing her. Curie (top) and Einstein for color comparison. Estella and Genevieve.

Attachments

• 9E8AEE0A-7553-4E21-950F-A1C1C0937E62.jpeg
    9E8AEE0A-7553-4E21-950F-A1C1C0937E62.jpeg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 1
  • E69FAB3F-7E47-4B49-9992-B448FDA60865.jpeg
    E69FAB3F-7E47-4B49-9992-B448FDA60865.jpeg
    965 KB · Views: 1
  • 00FEFE40-3C45-4F8A-9F94-6A2E807CFE95.jpeg
    00FEFE40-3C45-4F8A-9F94-6A2E807CFE95.jpeg
    562.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 11E4F7D0-8BB2-42EA-9BE8-3C66B2949D02.jpeg
    11E4F7D0-8BB2-42EA-9BE8-3C66B2949D02.jpeg