Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

13EB28AC-7321-4E32-8701-9FCE7344A1CC.jpeg
I was not so bright today.

Locked the chickens in the run/coop I thought and went away for some shoppings. When I returned the chickens were free ranging 🤨.

Forgot to close the run-door. They were lucky. I bought a bag of wild songbird seeds (hemp, sunflower and some other seeds) . Nice treat.

We got more snow a couple days ago. The chickens weren’t thrilled, they’re getting tired of walking in it. Most of the basins in Utah are at 180-240% of our average snowpack totals, thanks to the same atmospheric rivers that have been dumping rain in California and causing so much damage. I’m thrilled to see so much snow but getting increasingly uneasy about the high likelihood of severe flooding come spring. May our spring be cold and long! I was hanging out in the coop a couple days ago and says Curie and Einstein grooming my Australorp cockerel. Generally the Spitz’s avoid him, so I was surprised to see it. The Spitz’s will often groom each other and the Wyandotte juveniles, and occasionally the two pullets that Saoirse raised though. Interestingly enough, my older hens don’t engage in a lot of social grooming and keep their beaks to themselves. I’m not sure why there is such a difference in behavior.

Sophia can’t seem to make up her mind about weaning her cockerel. They don’t spend much time together during the day, but roost together most nights. Caramel consistently roosts with her cockerel, and occasionally spend time together during the day. I have seen both of them eating egg shells and their comb color is getting brighter, so I expect a formal break will happen sooner than later. Curie continues to inspect all of the nesting boxes, but has yet to lay an egg.

Attachments

• 40357CE4-2C7F-4766-A61E-4D4A76C9B49E.jpeg
    40357CE4-2C7F-4766-A61E-4D4A76C9B49E.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 89DB8554-8220-4B71-BACC-29D9C88D1137.jpeg
    89DB8554-8220-4B71-BACC-29D9C88D1137.jpeg
    612.1 KB · Views: 3
We got more snow a couple days ago. The chickens weren’t thrilled, they’re getting tired of walking in it. Most of the basins in Utah are at 180-240% of our average snowpack totals, thanks to the same atmospheric rivers that have been dumping rain in California and causing so much damage. I’m thrilled to see so much snow but getting increasingly uneasy about the high likelihood of severe flooding come spring. May our spring be cold and long! I was hanging out in the coop a couple days ago and says Curie and Einstein grooming my Australorp cockerel. Generally the Spitz’s avoid him, so I was surprised to see it. The Spitz’s will often groom each other and the Wyandotte juveniles, and occasionally the two pullets that Saoirse raised though. Interestingly enough, my older hens don’t engage in a lot of social grooming and keep their beaks to themselves. I’m not sure why there is such a difference in behavior.

Sophia can’t seem to make up her mind about weaning her cockerel. They don’t spend much time together during the day, but roost together most nights. Caramel consistently roosts with her cockerel, and occasionally spend time together during the day. I have seen both of them eating egg shells and their comb color is getting brighter, so I expect a formal break will happen sooner than later. Curie continues to inspect all of the nesting boxes, but has yet to lay an egg.
The seasons here seemed to have been pushed back a month or more.
It's mostly the mid ranked hens that try to groom Henry. The Ex Battery hens learned about grooming Henry quite quickly.

Thursday. Cold and sunny. Feed tray empty on arrival and the ground comparatively clean of feed. Either not fed, or not fed much. I left about 300 grams in the tray when I left the evening before so they'll have had that at least in the morning.
P1190102.JPG

This is the favourite sun bathing spot and they've done a lot of standing in the afternoon sun over the past couple of days.
P1190104.JPG

Henry feeling cold.
P1190106.JPG

P1190107.JPG
P1190108.JPG
P1190109.JPG
P1190110.JPG

Friday.
Not quite as cold, around 5C and sunny again. Some feed in tray on arrival.
P1200111.JPG
P1200113.JPG
P1200114.JPG

Lima Fret and Ella in the pictures above.
Fret trying to get under Henry again. She's lost a bit of confidence I think. Maybe sign of stress due to the decrease in population.
P1200115.JPG
P1200116.JPG

Henry demonstrating just how big his rear end is compared to the others.
P1200117.JPG

Back
Top Bottom