Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

the PhD thesis on the welfare of free range chickens
Suppose I need to read that again 🤣.
I also have been reading that a buzzard often get the blame for killing chickens. But its not strange that a hawk does the kill, eats a little and buzzards take over. The real predator disappeared by the time he owner sees the scavenging buzzard(s).
I have seen a youtube film that explains how this works.

Well, I guess I took this video (this past weekend) at the perfect time for Shad’s thread. A little background… we have a resident red shouldered hawk that I can hear and see most days. It is well aware of the chickens, and sometimes I have to make sure it sees the dog to get it to leave. Recently, I saw it with a possible mate, a second red shouldered hawk. I have also been hearing the occasional red tailed hawk. Then one day I saw two ravens chasing off not only the red shouldered hawk, but the red tailed hawk, as well. This past weekend is the first time that the red shouldered hawk was very much on display. It had been pretty elusive up until now. This is why my poor hens have been so freaked out lately.

Yesterday.
9C and sunny. Feed in both trays when I arrived. Looks like they got pasta for breakfast.
P1310190.JPG

Did the chores then took them out. Managed to keep them mostly on my plot which I'm digging over with added chicken poop in preperationfor the growing season. I didn't get a lot of digging done. I was too busy watchinng the chickens.
P1310197.JPG
P1310199.JPG

P1310195.JPG
P1310193.JPG
P1310194.JPG
P1310196.JPG

I'm digging over with added chicken poop in preperationfor the growing season. I didn't get a lot of digging done. I was too busy watchinng the chickens.
hopefully they'll do a lot of the digging for you :D

what'ya gonna grow?
My lot are very fond of the new leaves of centaurea gigantea / cephalaria gigantea, which is robust enough to withstand their depredations and brings insects in (and self seeds so a very easy plant). If you don't already know it, https://www.knollgardens.co.uk/product/cephalaria-gigantea/

hopefully they'll do a lot of the digging for you :D

what'ya gonna grow?
My lot are very fond of the new leaves of centaurea gigantea / cephalaria gigantea, which is robust enough to withstand their depredations and brings insects in (and self seeds so a very easy plant). If you don't already know it, https://www.knollgardens.co.uk/product/cephalaria-gigantea/
I'm going to grow eggs mainly. I've read the big egg producers have put something in everyones chicken feed that stops them laying eggs.;)

Yesterday.
9C and sunny. Feed in both trays when I arrived. Looks like they got pasta for breakfast.
View attachment 3392282
Did the chores then took them out. Managed to keep them mostly on my plot which I'm digging over with added chicken poop in preperationfor the growing season. I didn't get a lot of digging done. I was too busy watchinng the chickens.
View attachment 3392272View attachment 3392271
View attachment 3392277View attachment 3392276View attachment 3392273View attachment 3392275
Watching chickens is certainly preferable to digging! Would pasta for breakfast be considered a good feed for optimal egg laying outcomes? ;)

Back
Top Bottom