Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

The logistics of purposely adding chemicals to enough feed to have any impact on the laying in backyard chickens that would even register as a percaentage in loss of egg sales for the major egg producers make the idea impracticable.
It also doesn't make much economic sense given the scales involved.
A reduction in feed quality may impact a hens yearly production but hens still lay eggs with sub par nutrition as I've seen at the allotments.
The conspiracy nuts muddy the waters concerning feed; there's a much simpler explanation for the phenomena reported, especially when it is experienced keepers making the report. See, e.g.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/feed-date-code-translation.1249955/post-20055764

Easiest to provide a link to the video.
https://www.bitchute.com/video/HsBpDxEYr2KV/

Now type the line below into your browser and have a look at the sites that are pushing this. Pay particular attention to the comments on these sites and the nature of the other content they promote.

feed producers adding chemicals to feed to prevent hens laying

13811-b8bf2b7034744e246c9fb291e2f7f816.gif

Easiest to provide a link to the video.
https://www.bitchute.com/video/HsBpDxEYr2KV/

Now type the line below into your browser and have a look at the sites that are pushing this. Pay particular attention to the comments on these sites and the nature of the other content they promote.

feed producers adding chemicals to feed to prevent hens laying

View attachment 3393258
I don't understand why you're linking to this. I have better things to do with my time than waste it on nutters or nonsense.
Did the link I provided to ChickenCanoe's post on feed bag dates and ages not work?

I don't understand why you're linking to this. I have better things to do with my time than waste it on nutters or nonsense.
Did the link I provided to ChickenCanoe's post on feed bag dates and ages not work?
I linked to it to show the origin and hopefully to make clear that all the other feed issues (out of date, gmo, poor composition, no feed analysis etc etc) which may or may not have a bearing on egg production are not related to this issue.
This issue is very simple. It's been suggested that something has been added to a feed that prevents hens laying eggs. It has nothing to do with the other issues in brackets above.

Right. It doesn’t make sense. But producers do things that makes no sense as long as they can make more money.

Many growers do add herbicides and pesticides on the crops. In the next step where producers of layer would be adding even more would be ridiculous. Unless it is to keep fungi out or whatever the problem they encounter.

FYI: Soy and corn coming from plantations in Brazil (gmo) contains so much poison that it’s forbidden to use this for human food.
The residue’s in eggs and meat are less prominent. And beneath what is considered as dangerous.

Just thinking out loud
I’m wondering why the organic feed has less (on average) than gmo feed ….
Maybe this could be true (1): ‘The mills put more proteins in feed that contains gmo soy as in organic feed, because they need more to compensate for the poisons.”

Or this (2): Hens that free range need less proteins in their feed because the gather proteins (worms, insects) with free ranging.
Much more likely is organic soy costs a lot more than gmo soy so it is more cost effective to make it with a smaller margin of err, covering that with more testing or other quality control measures. In the US, anyway.

The concept was explained to me when my Dad started selling packaged food. The label had to have the weight on the contents on it. I wondered why it always weighed more than the label said. He said every food sold by weigh did. You can't see it in something like a chocolate bar because the machines are so precise that the margin of err is thousandths of a mg (concept; I don't know the exact amounts) from a candy bar to candy bar. They can afford to set the machines to make the candy bar only a few thousandths of a mg heavy knowing even the ones that err to light in weight will be over the weight they say it is. He was filling packages by pouring to a mark on a jar. He had to have the target weight into the grams heavy to make sure that even the lightest packages were above the labeled weight.

There is no penalty for being above weight (other than production costs). There are very expensive penalties for being caught underweight - regulatory, legal, and reputation.

With the soy:
Most likely they test it more. They might test from a bag of each batch after it is mixed instead of each truckload of the ingredients as it is delivered - or even a random sample of the truckloads delivered if they can expect it to be uniform enough.

Or they might have a more expensive meter on the chute that adds the soy to the mixer.

Or both. And maybe other methods of being more precise, also.

Concept, still; I don't know the actual cost differences of any of the factors.

Last edited:
it has transpired that at least some people have unknowingly been feeding old feed, and some warehouses and stores are better than others at rotating their stock properly. Milled stuff loses its nutritional value quite quickly.
This is a seperate issue.
I've fed the chickens in Catalonia feed three months off mill date and they still laid eggs.
Some chickens don't get fed any balanced commercial feed and they still lay eggs.

I linked to it to show the origin and hopefully to make clear that all the other feed issues (out of date, gmo, poor composition, no feed analysis etc etc) which may or may not have a bearing on egg production are not related to this issue.
This issue is very simple. It's been suggested that something has been added to a feed that prevents hens laying eggs. It has nothing to do with the other issues in brackets above.
OK, but idiots are best ignored not given air time imo.

This is a seperate issue.
I've fed the chickens in Catalonia feed three months off mill date and they still laid eggs.
Some chickens don't get fed any balanced commercial feed and they still lay eggs.
indeed, but the stuff Chicken Canoe was referring to was 3 YEARS expired, not 3 months old.
I don't buy any so-called balanced commercial feed, so I already know that it is not necessary to a chicken's good health, or egg production, or fertility.
This topic seems peculiarly liable to misunderstandings.

I need to go back and read this whole discussion on feed when I have more time. Mine get non-GMO, organic, soy-free, corn-free feed and I always check the mill date (once had to take some off date since they were out otherwise.) The chickens still get lots of cancer, laying disorders, and fatty liver. Laying status seems to correlate with age and time of year. Sorry to be throwing out a comment when I’m not properly caught up on the discussion yet.

Much more likely is organic soy costs a lot more than gmo soy so it is more cost effective to make it with a smaller margin of err, covering that with more testing or other quality control measures. In the US, anyway.
Actually, that can't be it. That would be why there might be a difference in the margin of difference from the label. Not why the amount on the label is different. Sorry for wasting anyone's time.

Back
Top Bottom