Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Wednesday 29th.
Split day again. Four hours in total.
Warm with sunny spells.
P5311187.JPG

This made me smile. Henry decided this was a good spot for a sit in the slightly damp soil. He didn't squash much. I was sitting in my chair and gathered around my feet were Ella, Lima and Carbon.
P5311195.JPG

Looking down this is what it looked like.
P5311196.JPG

I got up to get the full picture.
P5311197.JPG

This is at the back of the coop run. It's a new area for exploration. I guess they're fed up with getting evicted from the plots.
P5311191.JPG

I've started clearing the weeds and brambles out of what was the fruit bush plot. The chickens have been going in there now there is some room to move around.
P5311188.JPG
P5311190.JPG
P5311192.JPG

Lima in her current favourite spot.
P5311194.JPG

P5311199.JPG
P5311200.JPG

Hi!
New here, leaned about this thread from the texas thread. I have a 18 month old hen who used to be a production hen. Any tips on getting her use to humans and normal day to day chicken things? Also I think she’s been gorging as she came to us pretty small. Any advice would be great! Also, maybe breed identification?
She looks like a production red to me. Basically, rhode island red and white leghorn but not necessarily half one and half the other, sometimes with a little bit of othe breeds blended in. Some strains have other names: Isa Brown, Comet, Red Star are a few - those names are usually copyrighted and different from each other and any other mix of rhode island red and white leghorn because someone kept a selection of each breed separate for several to many generations and selected for their puposes. Or, just wanted a fancy name for what they were selling.

For normal chicken things, give them the opportunity and they will figure it out. Instincts to do chicken things are very strong.

For getting used to humans, move slow, be predictable, learn about what helps them feel safe and what they see as threatening.

She looks like a production red to me. Basically, rhode island red and white leghorn but not necessarily half one and half the other, sometimes with a little bit of othe breeds blended in. Some strains have other names: Isa Brown, Comet, Red Star are a few - those names are usually copyrighted and different from each other and any other mix of rhode island red and white leghorn because someone kept a selection of each breed separate for several to many generations and selected for their puposes. Or, just wanted a fancy name for what they were selling.

For normal chicken things, give them the opportunity and they will figure it out. Instincts to do chicken things are very strong.

For getting used to humans, move slow, be predictable, learn about what helps them feel safe and what they see as threatening.
Yeah I’ve been talking really quite keeping my kids away from her. And slowly approaching her so not to spook her. Any advice on her gorging herself?

I'm not the best one to ask about gorging but I will try until someone else comes. How much does she eat?

I would not try to approach her; that will feel like stalking to her. Just move around her as you focus on other things. Also, sit nearby doing anything with quiet movements (except look at her.) Eventually, they decide you aren't dangerous at least as long as you don't do scarier things than that. Then you push the envelop a little at a time.

How many other chickens do you have?

I'm not the best one to ask about gorging but I will try until someone else comes. How much does she eat?

I would not try to approach her; that will feel like stalking to her. Just move around her as you focus on other things. Also, sit nearby doing anything with quiet movements (except look at her.) Eventually, they decide you aren't dangerous at least as long as you don't do scarier things than that. Then you push the envelop a little at a time.

How many other chickens do you have?
She just eats until everything I put out for her is gone. So maybe I’ll try scheduled feeding??

Back
Top Bottom