Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

some of the girls seem to be none too keen on their new world order :hmm
P1120502.jpg

Hopefully Killay will relax a bit as he settles into his dominion. Chirk's was a hard act to follow and the girls are accustomed to being treated nice.

Dry and sunny after a dull and cloudy start to the day. Quiet at the allotments. Four hours today.
Lima had her best day for a while today. It wasn't quite so warm at about 19C with a lovely cool breeze. She spent 15 minutes or so under my chair when they first got out on to the allotments and then went off foraging with Henry keeping a close eye on her.
P6051233.JPG

P6051238.JPG

P6051237.JPG

P6051236.JPG

P6051235.JPG

Fret was off her nest when I opened them up and went straight out for a bit of fruit picking and bug hunting. She seems a lot more confident about what she is doing regarding the sitting and spent half an hour out today.
P6051232.JPG

P6051231.JPG

They are using the shade box. It's almost finished. If it works should it get hot then I'll build something better looking and a bit stronger.
P6051239.JPG
P6051240.JPG

Just needed to put Henry on the coop ramp this evening and the hens made their own way in after; tired of being bundled onto the ramp I guess.
P6051241.JPG
P6051242.JPG

The more time Henry gets out of the coop run the more like a rooster he behaves. He's more or less stopped worrying about me. He'll even come over when I call him. He's quite happy to take food out of my hand and compared to some of the hens he's incredibly gentle. Given how much larger he is than any of the hens it is quite easy to feed him treat first and this of course means his status goes up in the hens eyes. He'll eat a bit then drop a few bits fro his hens and then stand back while I lower my hand and hope I'll still have some fingers left while the hens grab anything they can get their beaks around.
View attachment 2914336
I have a couple of hens, that when I feed them by hand, they will take as much flesh as they can grab, not that they are not super friendly, they are just really eager..lol

I have a couple of hens, that when I feed them by hand, they will take as much flesh as they can grab, not that they are not super friendly, they are just really eager..lol
You could try closed fist treat feeding. I'll try and find a picture showing how it's done. There are a couple of pictures of it further in the thread.

Most of the

US is in the same no vet boat. I think it's mainly in places that have higher expenses that vets decide it's worth learning about birds. I can get you 4 in my area that do horses and cows, but not chickens or anything besides a cat or dog small animalwise
I live in South Carolina and we have an amazing vet that treats our dogs (half the price of the vet we used to go to..) He also treats chickens, so if we are ever in a pinch, we have a good guy to go to. He is a lucky find.

Back
Top Bottom