Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Cold, wet and miserable. We did get out for a couple of hours despite the showers.
Dig attacked Fret this afternoon. It was entirely unprovoked from what I saw.
We were all digging on my plot and Dig just flew at Fret and flogged her. I threw him off her and then he went for me, full on flogging attempt. I saw him coming and blocked him. Henry was right by me by then and when Henry saw Dig attempt to flog me he went ballistic. He flogged Dig and chased him around the allotment.
For the remaining time we were out Henry wouldn't let Dig anywhere near me. When it came to roosting time Fret was very reluctant to go to roost. I grabbed Dig and shoved him through the pop door and Fret darted in behind and got underneath and in front of Henry where he was sitting. I opened up the back of the coop and wouldn't let Dig over the roost bar on the other side of the coop for a bit and left both doors open until it had got darker. I made Dig settle on the roost bar. Every time he tried to get off, I put him back. Eventually he settled down.

Unfortunately I'm not going to the allotments tomorrow. I've got stuff to do I can't postpone.
If Dig continues in the above manner I'm going to have to kill him. Such a shame but attacking me is fine, attacking the hens isn't. It's just about the only bad behaviour I will not tolerate.
P3270472.JPG
P3270473.JPG

Cold, wet and miserable. We did get out for a couple of hours despite the showers.
Dig attacked Fret this afternoon. It was entirely unprovoked from what I saw.
We were all digging on my plot and Dig just flew at Fret and flogged her. I threw him off her and then he went for me, full on flogging attempt. I saw him coming and blocked him. Henry was right by me by then and when Henry saw Dig attempt to flog me he went ballistic. He flogged Dig and chased him around the allotment.
For the remaining time we were out Henry wouldn't let Dig anywhere near me. When it came to roosting time Fret was very reluctant to go to roost. I grabbed Dig and shoved him through the pop door and Fret darted in behind and got underneath and in front of Henry where he was sitting. I opened up the back of the coop and wouldn't let Dig over the roost bar on the other side of the coop for a bit and left both doors open until it had got darker. I made Dig settle on the roost bar. Every time he tried to get off, I put him back. Eventually he settled down.

Unfortunately I'm not going to the allotments tomorrow. I've got stuff to do I can't postpone.
If Dig continues in the above manner I'm going to have to kill him. Such a shame but attacking me is fine, attacking the hens isn't. It's just about the only bad behaviour I will not tolerate.
View attachment 3783986View attachment 3783985

Nice to hear Henry came in to protect his favorite human. Hope Dig settles down.

Nice to hear Henry came in to protect his favorite human. Hope Dig settles down.
Yeah, that bit is quite interesting. It's a shame he's not as protective of Fret.
I may be doing him an injustice. Henry came up behind me and I don't know how much he saw. He was definitely pissy about the whole business.
I'm just upset because I did so hope, and still have some, that Dig would settle in.
He does get to mate the hens, even Carbon if he times it right.
As confined chickens go he has a good life.

Dig just flew at Fret and flogged her. I threw him off her and then he went for me, full on flogging attempt. I saw him coming and blocked him. Henry was right by me by then and when Henry saw Dig attempt to flog me he went ballistic. He flogged Dig and chased him around the allotment.
For the remaining time we were out Henry wouldn't let Dig anywhere near me.
I am really hoping Dig mellows out. I have never seen one of my boys actually flog or even attempt to flog a hen. Blue and Pip have tried to flog me and Blue definitely does not like the egg thief (we are changing the nesting box configuration, so that he does not have to see his potential off-spring being peep-napped. We will be able to nick the eggs after they have roosted for the night.). They get a little over amorous some times, but they are never violent towards the girls.

Henry's protective instinct is awesome. He recognizes you as his ally in protecting his tribe. Goldie and Spud guard me the entire time that I am in the run just incase they have to run interference with either Blue or Pip. Blue is funny, if Pip is acting remotely aggressive towards me, Blue runs him off (I guess he is the only one that has the right to attack me..lol).

It didn't look staged to me either and it was very distressing.
However, I would personally far rather someone look something up than confidently assert the wrong answer.
I always appreciate when a doctor or vet looks up the correct dose of something rather than just going off memory for example.
I agree whole heartedly.
I did not watch the video... Confusing ignorance for stupidity and making fun of it is not intelligent in my opinion 😊. Knowledge is necessary for people to take educated decisions but it is not what makes them intelligent. Or good people either.
Thanks for the reminder. Tax:
This lovely lady wandered onto my friend's property. I'm trying to persuade her to let me add her to my flock, as she is contemplating getting rid of hers.

View attachment 3783557
She is stunning ! Reminds me a bit of my bantam Merle but with a lot more game.
IMG_20240304_130614.jpg

Is it the friend you are trying to convince, or the hen ?

Yeah, that bit is quite interesting. It's a shame he's not as protective of Fret.
I may be doing him an injustice. Henry came up behind me and I don't know how much he saw. He was definitely pissy about the whole business.
I'm just upset because I did so hope, and still have some, that Dig would settle in.
He does get to mate the hens, even Carbon if he times it right.
As confined chickens go he has a good life.
But still. Keeping two males, one a cockerel, with three hens, confined most of the day in a 40m2 run if I remember right and if i'm not mixing myself up between square feet and meters ?
Even if they are family, don't you think it was and is asking a lot of Dig for it to work out ?

Attachments

• IMG_20240322_144323.jpg
    IMG_20240322_144323.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom