Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Out of sight out of mind and the problem for the keeper is over, but in many cases the problems for the rehomed birds are just begining.
I am going to have to grapple with this issue this year OR deny all hens that go broody the opportunity to raise a clutch (with accompanying impact on the flock as a whole). There appears to be no easy solution. And here, making space for the next generation would require culling hens as well as roos. My ideal would be to send a multigenerational mixed flock to a new home, but that's proving to be a hard sell with those I've floated the idea past, to date.

I am going to have to grapple with this issue this year OR deny all hens that go broody the opportunity to raise a clutch (with accompanying impact on the flock as a whole). There appears to be no easy solution. And here, making space for the next generation would require culling hens as well as roos. My ideal would be to send a multigenerational mixed flock to a new home, but that's proving to be a hard sell with those I've floated the idea past, to date.
That’s why I only let a hen brood when I have room for a few more hens. And break broodies most of the time.

The boys are always a problem though.
Once I had 5 chicks : 1 pullet and 5 cockerels. 😢 I managed to sell a broody with 2 male chicks to someone who had a loss previous. The woman wanted to give her last hen companion and maybe have a clutch in the future herself. We had contact a few times before she came over.

She already asked her brother who has a hobby farm if one of the boys could move to his property later on. And we were both happy with this arrangement.

Of course I wasn’t sure what their future would bring. But it felt good. If someone in the line isn’t honest and culls the cockerel for a tiny bit of luxury meat, so be it. It’s beyond my control. Just like the millions in factory farming who get slaughtered every week. I just have to let it go or I become a heavily depressed nutter.

Of course I wasn’t sure what their future would bring. But it felt good. If someone in the line isn’t honest and culls the cockerel for a tiny bit of luxury meat, so be it. It’s beyond my control. Just like the millions in factory farming who get slaughtered every week. I just have to let it go or I become a heavily depressed nutter.
When I rehomed the flock (minus Skeksis & Chippy), that was my big concern. Did not want my beloved pets to become a free dinner. I checked out the place first, plus the couple said they were vegan. And they were close enough that I could visit the birds. After Skeksis died, I gave Chippy to them, knowing she'd have a good home.

When I rehomed the flock (minus Skeksis & Chippy), that was my big concern. Did not want my beloved pets to become a free dinner. I checked out the place first, plus the couple said they were vegan. And they were close enough that I could visit the birds. After Skeksis died, I gave Chippy to them, knowing she'd have a good home.
So glad you were able to get them a good home and get updates. :hugs

Two hours today. Raining when I got there, raining when I left.
Only Mow was prepared to venture out in the lighter showers.

I didn't make a good job of this picture but these two ducks were standing outside one of those trailer cafes in the centre of Bristol completely unperturbed by the people hurrying by to catch buses and buy coffee.
IMG_20240403_202350_437.jpg

Keeping Mow company in the rain.
P4040510.JPG

Sitting in the coop extension.
P4040505.JPG
P4040508.JPG

He's a long way from giving Henry any real problems and as I've often mentioned, I don't really care how he behaves towards me. While he's alive and here we'll work something out.
I am glad there is still hope for Dig! I cringe every time I see someone rehoming any animal. I tend to avoid sites that allow it because I worry where they are going to end up and feel depressed because I can't adopt every animal to prevent it from being abused or neglected.

As long as the boys are good with the girls and not really hurting each other, I will work with them and continue to make adjustments to make them more comfortable. The boys are still a bit grabby at times, but getting better. Blue actually got me good Sunday, this was the first time in months. I took scramble down and the girls just bum-rushed him and he didn't even get the chance to try to convince the girls that it was all his magic. He was frustrated, it was visibly obvious. He just kept getting pushed back and his body language and the way he was looking around it was definitely like he was overwhelmed.

I took this as an opportunity to bring him up to the house for a spur trim (they were sharp enough to puncture my jeans and give me a couple of minor punctures.)and to inspect him all-over and massage some vaseline into his comb and waddles where he had taken a peck or two from intervening when the other boys are getting too rowdy. (He also got special treats and a flurry of Blue songs..lol)

I've looked but not seen anything yet. My flat is hard to better in my financial circumstances. Explaining why so it makes sense requires an understanding of the British housing situation, pensions and the alternatives.
I haven't looked at rental prices, but I am steal periodically keeping and eye on property prices, and in general property prices are really high over there, even more so when you are looking for a little bit of land.

Back
Top Bottom